1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by volunteer staff only.

White spot, help please

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by DanielleM, Dec 3, 2017.

1. DanielleM

DanielleM Hatchling Turtle

Hi, I've noticed today my Murray River turtle has a white spot on his foot. He has been shedding skin this week so I am unsure if this is normal or an infection. My son says he has noticed him biting his foot recently but I have not seen it myself.

He is active and eating well.

Attached Files:

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

Hi Danielle,

It appears as though your turtle has a skin infection or infection under the skin on one of the toe bones.

I can't see exactly what it is because when I enlarge the photo it is a bit out of focus.

I'd recommend either uploading an in focus, close up photo or taking your turtle to a vet as it is impossible to make a positive ID of the problem.
    Can you tell me if there is any ammonia present in the water in your turtle's tank?

3. DanielleM

Thank you, I will try and get a better photo for you.
    All parameters were within normal range when I did a water change 4 days ago, I will recheck. We have started feeding him in the tank this week, perhaps that has made a difference? He consumes everything we've fed him in seconds, no waste left.

Do you think dry docking and betadine treatment or a fungal treatment like Blue Planet would be appropriate? I have read that this can treat infections effectively.

4. Craig

Yes I'd recommend dry-docking your turtle and using Betadine on your turtle's foot.
    Most skin infections are actually not fungal, they're usually bacterial, so Betadine whilst dry-docking and shallow baths (just covering the foot) in 2% Iodine are highly recommended.

5. DanielleM

Thanks Craig, will do!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ellie14

Ellie14 Egg

Hey Danielle,
    Have you had any luck with the foot? My turtle has been doing the same thing as of last night so just wondering if you have found a solution?

7. DanielleM

Hi,
    Yes it is looking much better, almost gone. I have been applying Betadine and dry docking him for an hour or so afterwards before putting back in his tank each day. Seems to have done the trick. :)

8. Craig

Remember to rinse all Betadine off of your turtle before putting him back in the tank. Betadine will kill bacteria in the tank that is used in the biological filtration process.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @DanielleM I recommend dosing your aquarium with Seachem Prime ASAP as you obviously have free ammonia in your tank. This will be due to inadequate / under-filtration. Prime will instantly detoxify any ammonia and nitrite for 48 hours.
    Prime & Stability 500mL Combo.jpg
    That infection on your turtle's foot is caused by ammonia in the water burning the sensitive skin (like battery acid) and the turtle will bite it because it's itchy and inadvertently make it worse until it looks like this...
    20170511_214502_mh1494510282504.jpg

Was the tank fully cycled for 6-8 weeks with fish before you put the turtle in? Are you using salt in the tank at all?

10. Craig

Hey Kev, Danielle mentioned in an earlier post that all water chemistry parameters were within normal range. I had peviously asked Danielle if there was any ammonia present. That's what I too initially what was causing her turtle to bite his own foot.

11. DanielleM

Hi,
    Thank you for the info, I use Prime when doing water changes or top ups and have recently started using salt in the last month or so. Should I be using Prime more often or something similar in between water changes? The tank was cycled for about 4 weeks and has been running for about 4 months now.
    The little guy's foot is looking much better with betadine treatments the spot is barely visible. :)

12. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Yes mate I saw but I don't like the "all parameters are in the normal range" response. Obviously they aren't or weren't for the infection to have started.

13. Craig

I agree. Exact water chemistry parameters would have been very helpful.
    Danielle, I'm happy to hear your turtle's foot is much better. I'm worried that you've only taken care of the symptoms and not the cause of this skin problem.
    Would you be able to upload another photo of your turtles foot after the Betadine treatment please?

14. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

I agree with this.

15. DanielleM

Sure, these are the parameters today.
    pH 7.8
    Chlorine and Ammonia 0 (added prime at water change 2 days ago)
    Nitrate 36ppm
    Nitrite 0.3 - 0.4ppm
    Temp 26 degrees

My local aquarium place advised that levels were OK, happy for further advice if I am not doing something correctly.

Photo attached of foot today, best I could do as he was hungry and my fingers were on the menu.

20171207_125705.jpg

16. Craig

His toe is looking better than it was but it still has not healed. You should be dry-docking for at least 3-4 hours to give the toe a chance to heal. Just the same as if you go swimming with a cut or a scab on your skin, it basically won't heal and it goes soft and breaks down again or the scab falls off in the water.

17. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Nitrite of 0.3 - 0.4 ppm is a big problem. That indicates your tank isn't cycled.

• Agree Agree x 2