1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Where to catch your own live food!

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by Ikola, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ikola

Ikola Senior Turtle

Hi All,

Over the past months there have been quite a few people asking about where to source live food for their turtles.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread that lists all known areas where you may go and catch your own live food. This includes glass shrimp, gudgeons, guppies, yabbies, Elodea (oxygen weed) & other aquatic plants.

Since there is a good scatter of members across Australia, we should be able to come up with a large list of places to go to find your own food.

All you need is your own bait catching net and something similar to a fine butterfly net and you are all set!

If you want more info on bait nets - click here

I'll start.

I find all of my food from a waterway at a park called Gould Adams Park in Kingston Brisbane. Here is the map:
    http://www.whereis.com/?id=82208A3066BF6A

This place is a great source for Elodea, Guppies, Glass Shrimp (in the 1000's!!!) and Swordtail fry (don't know how these got here?).

A 30 min trip for me to this waterhole will see a heap of glass shrimp and enough feeder fish to feed all of my turtles and fish. There is also an abundance of water plants, water lily, duckweed etc - just a case of looking around for it.

As with anything though - you should only take what you need and leave some there for another day!!

The local turtle population are Short Neck Emydura. I've never got close enough to see what type they actually are though - I suspect Macquarii M's as they are LARGE!

Hope that this kicks off some ideas for a lot of people - be sure to post up your food and plant source (:hello)

Todd

#1 Ikola, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. Vincent

Vincent Sub-Adult Turtle

Thanks for the thread, I found it useful and I hope others find it useful too.

3. Brian Mercer

Brian Mercer Adult Turtle

Hello Todd,

Most people are happy to share information about where they catch live food.

Weedons Crossing Nerang SE QLD.

4. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

I go down the back to our 3rd pond/creek. It has heaps of native fish, Gambusia and freshwater prawns (thousands actually) and small yabbies. The 2nd pond is chock a block full of Rainbow Fish only as they are breeding in there. Also, we have a supply of as much Val as we want since I planted some 3 years ago.

So if I happen to see anyone walk past my front door with a bucket and a net or two, I'll know what you're up to.

5. sawshelled

sawshelled Sub-Adult Turtle

Todd

The Brisvegas area is full of exotics etc through the release of pets from captivity. The better publication for all on freshwater fish within Australia including the distribution of exotics is "Freshwater Fishes of Australia" by Gerald Allen. It is available in a hard back copy (now rare to find) and a more recent field guide. It gives the best info on our freshwater fish that I can find anywhere.

Remember all, that the collection of live fish from the wild for feeding animals is sometimes considered in contravention to the collection to aquariums. Within QLD there is a bag limit on several species that is all detailed within the "Recreational fishing size and bag limits for Queensland, March 2009". The capture and holding of declared pest species is also against legislation. I however, have never heard of anyone ever being prosecuted for having gambusia etc for food for turtles.

I only mention this, as I would hate to hear of anyone from AFT ever being penalised for removing a pest from the wild to feed to our great hard shelled kids. I actively capture live food for my little ones.

P.S. Craig, I doubt I would get very far into your yard carrying a bucket without being searched. :) he he.

6. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Yes it's a great book. We have one in our collection and it's very handy, and good reading.

True! Or you could get out this way stretcher-1.gif :ambulance: :D

7. benk

benk Adult Turtle

I am at a sewerage plant on the Gold Coast today and there is HEAPS of Val in the effluent ponds....anyone want some?? (:puking)

:D

Cheers,
    Ben.

8. How to catch live food

Are there laws to removing fish & shrimp from local creeks or waterways? Also, is there a preferred method that seems to work best ?

9. Brian Mercer

I believe there are laws but I think that most people are only pulling out Gambusia which is an introduced pest. There were posts on here before about this topic and nobody to my knowledge has said they have been cautioned for it.

10. Marvin

Marvin Egg

For those of you in on the northern side of Adelaide I went down to Dry creek near the jail and found nothing. Looks as if all the rain we have had has washed the fish and plants away.
    Any ideas where else there would be some feeder fish:confused:

Olaf

11. Aqua

Aqua Juvenile Turtle

In Cairns I've read about fines but for Tilapia but not Gambusia. Some fishermen had them in a bucket as bait at a local river bank. There was much controversy because the fishermen are catching them out as by catch & are in the position to decrease their numbers a little... case of the wrong people getting fined I think.

At the Centenary Lakes in Cairns there is a sign that says catching fish & turtles is prohibited. Unfortunately there are guppies, swordtail's, gambusia, glass shrimp, lots of different weed... I took the risk about 5 different times, the turtles egged me on.

12. cris

cris Sub-Adult Turtle

There are varying rules for tidal, saltwater and freshwater google "dpi fish-web QLD" and you should be able to find the rules from there. I mainly use a cast net in tidal waters and in freshwater i use a landing net with fine netting and bait traps. Going at night with a torch can sometimes be a better way of catching fish. Most of the common small native fish have a bag limit of 20, but check the list. I believe anything not listed has no bag or size limit, freshwater mullet for example don't seem to be listed and from what information I can get from the dpi have no limits so are ideal for feeding to various critters. Sea mullet do have a limit of 30cm though so get a field guide to tell the difference.

Councils(at least in Brisbane) prohibit the taking of any fauna from many places with public access.

As mentioned declared noxious fish cannot technically be legally used, if you do use them please make sure they cant escape into new water ways.

The most important thing is to try to minimise any impact on the habitat and avoid using hooks if by catch is likely. The wild turtles and other critters will appreciate it. Here are a few locals from the Brissy River that I have come across while fishing.

#12 cris, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  13. flickchick99

flickchick99 Adult Turtle

Found this list on the dse website of lakes in Vic that you are allowed to fish for salmonids in, hence they are legal places to fish in
    http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nrenfaq.nsf/LinkView/75372EDD59FD6A6FCA257568001B9DE3863080215E41289ECA25753D0013A569/$file/9_Limits%20and%20Closed%20Seasons%201.pdf
    Albert Park Lake*,
    Albert Park
    Alexandra Lake, Ararat
    Allans Flat Dredge Hole,
    Allans Flat
    Anderson Lake, Chiltern
    Arboretum Dam, Euroa
    Bannockburn Lagoon,
    Bannockburn
    Calembeen Lake, Creswick
    Casey Fields, Cranbourne
    Cato Lake, Stawell
    Caulfield Racecourse Lake,
    Caulfield
    Cobden Lake, Cobden
    Cummins Lake, Yea
    Donald Caravan Park Lake,
    Donald
    Dunkeld Arboretum, Dunkeld
    Eildon Pondage**, Eildon
    Emerald Lake, Emerald
    Esmond Lake, Ballarat
    Ess Lagoon, Casterton
    Fosters Dam, Glenrowan
    Golf Course Dam, Longwood
    Gutheridge Lake, Sale
    Guyatt Lake, Sale
    Hanging Rock Lake,
    Hanging Rock
    Heyfield Racecourse Lake,
    Heyfield
    Hyland Lake, Churchill
    Jack Emmett Billabong,
    Rupanyup
    Jack Roper Reserve Lake,
    Broadmeadows
    Jubilee Lake, Daylesford
    Jubilee Lake, Skipton
    Karkarook Lake, Moorabbin
    Kennington Reservoir,
    Strathdale
    Kerferd Lake, Beechworth
    Lethbridge Lake, Lethbridge
    Lillydale Lake, Lilydale
    Lismore Golf Course Dam,
    Lismore
    Marysville Dam, Marysville
    Mooroopna Recreation
    Reserve Lake, Mooroopna
    Morwell Lake, Morwell
    Mt Beauty Pondage**,
    Mt Beauty
    Nhill Lake, Nhill
    Pakenham Lake, Pakenham
    Police Paddock Dam,
    Horsham
    Rabl Park Lake, Murtoa
    Rowville Lakes, Rowville
    Roxburgh Park Lakes,
    Roxburgh Park
    Ruffey Lake, Doncaster
    Sambell Lake, Beechworth
    Seagull Lake, Geelong
    Spavin Lake, Sunbury
    St Arnaud Old Swimming
    Pool, St Arnaud
    St Augustines Water Hole,
    Geelong
    St Georges Lake, Creswick
    Taylors Lakes, Taylors Lakes
    Tea Tree Lake, Mortlake
    Tom Thumb Lake, Eaglehawk
    Victoria Lake, Ballarat
    Watonga Drive Dam, Horsham
    West Lake, Melton
    Whittlesea Botanical Gardens
    Lake*, Thomastown
    Yarrambat Park Lake,
    Yarrambat

14. jas024

jas024 Sub-Adult Turtle

Maybe next time, thanks Ben. hahaha... I usually find glass shrimp, gudgeons, eldodea and Val anywhere around Robina, (all the lakes and run offs) on the Gold Coast. Also, anywhere on the banks of clear island waters are very good places to find some great turtle food...

Jason

15. oli

oli Sub-Adult Turtle

16. Brian Mercer

Yes when Jason takes me next time I will catch all those too. Hey mate.:):)

17. JellieBean

JellieBean Juvenile Turtle

Never occurred to me that there were restrictions on where I could try to source live food for my turtles. I'll have to work out where these two places are and visit them.

On the weekend I visited Buckley Falls and the Barwon River (near the Queens Park Bridge as there is a platform there), in Geelong. After reading on this site that live food instead of frozen food would be better for the turtles I bought a $24 net with a long handle and gave it a go (I've made my money back already).

I was surprised how easy it was to collect guppies :) (I ended up putting some back as I caught too many). I also caught some glass shrimp & boatmen. I also put in my little bucket anything that looked like a bug.

Unfortunately it was the feeder fish that had a feast :(. One of my ELN's ate some of it... (although it was the other ELN, Gerti, that is not eating that I'm desperately trying to feed). I'm hoping that the feeder fish will pass on the nutrients when they are eventually eaten.

This morning using plastic tweezers I put a small cricket in Gerti's mouth then put her back in the tank. She spat it out. (& I nearly cried in frustration). :eek:

18. Brian Mercer

Don't cry and don't give up. Persistence will win in the end. Once real hunger sets in that is.

19. Charleah

Charleah Sub-Adult Turtle

I caught a heap of swordtails and guppies in the creek down the centre of Glindermann Park at Holland Park in Brisbane. Meadowlands Park has lots of gambusia and glass shrimp etc, but also has heaps of turtles so I prefer to leave them to the wild turts.

20. anna

anna Hatchling Turtle

Just a quick question guys,

I've seen heaps of information about catching live creatures for my turtle and am interested in going out hunting in the local creeks, the only thing I'm worried about however is that the creeks may be polluted and this could affect the food I find in them.

I live in the Eastern suburbs of Adelaide, the creeks only run in the winter, but I am close to the Torrens River - but that can also be pretty dirty, though there is native wildlife living in it like frogs, fish, birds etc.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Anna and Midget :)