1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

What size tank will I need in the future?

Discussion in 'Keeping Turtles Indoors (Aquariums)' started by Daniel Parry, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Daniel Parry

Daniel Parry Juvenile Turtle

I currently have 2 Eastern long-neck turtles in a 3 foot tank. They're only about 5cm roughly at the moment. Just wondering how long they can stay in this size tank for and when I do upgrade my tank in the future, what size would it have to be to house them when they're adults? Just asking because I don't want to buy 3 different sized tanks. lol The next tank I buy will be the last tank hopefully. lol

Cheers, Daniel.

#1 Daniel Parry, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Daniel and :aftwelcome:

Your current tank should last you a couple of years, however, it's not the size of the tank that's going to be your problem, it's the fact you have 2 turtles. 2 turtles is basically the worst number of turtles you could keep and we at AFT always recommend just keeping one on its own as turtles are solitary animals that see other turtles in close proximity as competition, not as a friend as so many people too often assume. Please don't reply with something like "mine are best mates because I got them from the same store and they always hang out together" I can assure you this is NOT the case and NEVER will be. Once they start to mature, they can and will shred each other to pieces.
    To understand why you should never keep 2 turtles together, please read the following link.
    Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

You will most likely have to re-home one of your turtles or permanently separate your two turtles in the near future and give them their own separate tanks, and the MINIMUM sized aquarium for an adult ELN is a 4ftx2ftx2ft.

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks,
    please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the
    Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

3. Daniel Parry

Thanks for your reply, I did have 4 ELN's but re-homed 2 of them yesterday. I only originally wanted 1 ELN but the breeder I purchased them from would only sell them in pairs. I had heard about having 2 together could be an issue but the breeder insisted that it wasn't an issue keeping 2.
    A 4x2x2 tank size sounds good, I was thinking I may of needed a 6ft tank in the future.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

4. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Yeah mate that's some really bad advice unfortunately from a breeder who's just trying to move his hatchlings on and make quick $$$. Anyone who won't sell turtles individually is a joker mate, plain and simple. Since you only wanted one, I'd look at returning one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

If you can fit a 5ft X 2ft X 2ft or even 6ft X 2ft X 2ft tank in your place then you should go for that. Bigger is always better and who knows, you might end up with 3 compatible ELN's like someone else I know.

The good thing about ELN's is that they don't have a sharp bird-like beak that short-necked turtles do. When ELN's bite they basically just give a bit of a nip and then use their feet to push away from what they're holding in their mouth.

6. Daniel Parry

Yeah I'll definitely get the biggest tank I can when it comes to it, I never had any issues with my previous 2 Macleay River turtles I used to own, hopefully my ELN get on OK but I guess if they don’t I will have to look at re homing one.

#6 Daniel Parry, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  7. Gizmo93

Gizmo93 Hatchling Turtle

Hi, new here!
    Just reading along some posts for research purposes prior to purchasing a turtle.
    I do have a question, why did you have 4 ELN's to begin with?
    And why would 2 turtles be the worst number to keep?
    Thanks!

#7 Gizmo93, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  8. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Two turtles is the worst number to keep together because turtles are solitary creatures, not social. Turtles see other turtles in close proximity as competition, not friends. Keeping just 2 together will result in 1 being dominant over the other and bullying it until it gets weak, sick and dies. When keeping turtles in groups of four or more, this problem doesn't arise as no one turtle can dominate 3 others, so they tend to coexist a lot more peacefully.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Gizmo93

Gizmo93 Hatchling Turtle

Oh, okay. Very interestng!
    Thanks Kev! :)

10. Daniel Parry

I bought my ELN in December as a hatchling so he is about 3 months old, currently he is in a 3 foot tank. I know this tank should last a bit longer before I will need a bigger tank but I have been calling around getting prices on a 4x2x2 tank for him. Just out of curiosity, the prices have varied a lot, one was $450 with a stand and a few were in the high $550-$650. Just wanted to know how much is too much for a 4x2x2 tank?

#10 Daniel Parry, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Hi Daniel, if you're going to pay retail, expect to get ripped off. I'd personally get the tank custom built by a professional tank builder and cut out the middle man. I had my 4×3×2 tank custom made from 12mm glass with a double glazed 25mm base. I also got a custom made heavy duty 6-legged pine stand for the tank, all delivered with a 5 year warranty for $460.

Obviously anything more than that for a 4×2×2 is a ripoff. The tank itself would be worth no more than $150. It's just glass and silicone.

12. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

I agree with Kev - definitely go custom Daniel, straight to the manufacturer - you'll get a much better deal.

13. Daniel Parry

OK excellent, thanks for the help. :)

14. ksheep

ksheep Hatchling Turtle

Kev, did you get yours done in Brisbane or Toowoomba? Looking at getting Dash an upgrade along with us when we move in May.

Always thought we'd be in an outside pond by now, but he's a little slow growing and I don't want him out there until the Kookaburras can't take him!

#14 ksheep, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
  15. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

G'day mate, Stark's Aquaria in Toowoomba custom built my tank for me.

16. ksheep

ksheep Hatchling Turtle

Cool, bit far from me though. :)

4x3x2 ft ... how big can they be before you will move them on from that tank?

17. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

They won't move up from that tank, this tank is big enough to comfortably house them for life.