1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Turtle size and health check up

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by matty_g_8, Aug 29, 2016.

1. matty_g_8

matty_g_8 Sub-Adult Turtle

Just wanted to do a check up with some pictures to ensure our turtle is at a healthy range.

SCL is 7.8cm and will be about 2 years old in December. Gets feed every 3 days either woodies or worms, tank usually has feeder fish, val and duck week.

Thanks.

20160828_163013.jpg 20160828_163003.jpg 20160828_162927.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016, Original Post Date: Aug 29, 2016 ---
    Anything I should be concerned with?

2. Sheldonsmum

Sheldonsmum Hatchling Turtle

He looks like a baby compared to my 1 1/2 year old. Maybe I feed too much. She gets frozen food once or twice a week. Pellets daily, whatever she can eat in 10 mins and has crayfish but she has eaten the little ones and chases the big ones but they are quick to hide. Also I give her peas and zucchini occasionally as well as shrimp and fresh chicken and very very lean meat. Big variety. Have to measure her but pretty sure she is (I think she's a she) is about 12 cm across her shell. I saw a Murray today who is the same size as mine and theirs was apparently 10 years old! It is mixed in with tropicals. Funniest thing, they had little sucker fish that sit on its head and clean it and it doesn't bat an eyelid. My Sheldon would devour it!. Seriously undersized that one. No basking shelf and no heat lamp. People say their turtle doesn't go on it but I notice with mine, she goes on when we aren't in the room. I can hear her climbing up. Dives in the water when we walk in the room. Please people have the shelf, plus a heat lamp for the right hours a day and also change your UV lamp every 6 months and don't have the water level too high.

Attached Files:

#2 Sheldonsmum, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
  3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello, you're doing a lot wrong unfortunately. You're overfeeding your turtle way too much and stuff that's very detrimental to its overall health and well-being. Please read the AFT care guides and correct your turtle's diet ASAP!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 16, 2016 ---
    A Murray River turtle's diet should be 75% aquatic plant material, such things as Elodea, Vallisneria, Azolla and Duckweed. Other items it should be offered are earthworms, silkworms, wood roaches, crickets, freshwater shrimps, whole live feeder fish (not goldfish) and commercial turtle pellets (Hikari Cichlid Gold or Exo-Terra Aquatic Turtle Pellets) once/week MAX as a dietary substitute only, and definitely not what it can consume in 10 minutes! Only an amount equivalent to the size of its head.
    Your turtle should only be getting fed an amount the size of its head every 3rd to 5th day, not as much as it can eat every day and it should under no circumstances be eating chicken, lean meat or any fruits and vegetables intended for human consumption, especially peas and zucchini which actually inhibit the uptake of calcium in reptiles and causes calcium deficiency syndrome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sheldonsmum

Re-read my post. I don't have a Murray. I have a Saw-shell. I was talking about the Murray compared to my Saw-shell. I do acknowledge I am over feeding Sheldon though. It is so hard he begs and begs but I am only feeding once a day. I will do some more reading and pull back a bit. I figured he can't be too full as he still chases the crayfish around.

5. Sheldonsmum

And you just get such conflicting information. On how much and when.

6. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Where does it say you have a Saw-shell?? I don't see that anywhere, I was going by the photo...
    Also, the fact your turtle is chasing crayfish does NOT MEAN IT'S HUNGRY. You're misinterpreting what you're seeing. 200 million years of evolution has made turtles opportunistic feeders. You're overfeeding, way too much. You need to cut right back to once every 3rd day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sheldonsmum

Sorry you are right. I was replying and looking at the pic of the Saw-shell when I first started the post and then started talking about the Murray I saw today. Mine is a Saw-shell.

8. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Well at 1 1/2 years old, your Saw-shell shouldn't be much larger than 5-6cm Straight Carapace Length. It's eating way too much complex protein and this will lead to deformities such as pyramiding/tenting of the shell.

9. Sheldonsmum

I will have to check the age and do a proper measure. We were given him/her by someone who got bored when he wasn't a baby anymore. Will refer back to your notes when I know more definite facts. Thanks for the help so far. I would hate to do the wrong thing, I love my turtle. Much to my 16 year old's jealousy!

10. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

11. matty_g_8

Anything I should be worried about with my original pictures? Once it warms up again I will be able to give him lots more natural sunlight.

12. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hey Matt,
    I'd recommend to keep feeding him up so that he puts on a bit more weight. Post some photos of him from time to time so we can determine if he is getting too much food or too little.

As you mentioned, lots more natural sunshine will be very beneficial and will help to clean his shell up by allowing him to shed those stubborn scutes.

13. matty_g_8

Thanks Craig currently gets fed every 3rd day size of his head, might increase this to every second day?

Yeah I can see the scutes lift up after a bit of sun but I will leave them to come off themselves with more sunlight.

14. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Hi Matt, I think you should be feeding your turtle every day until it has the growth spurt needed to get those scutes off. Every third day isn't enough.

• Like Like x 1
  15. matty_g_8

Thanks, just don't want to have the same issue we had last time where he grew way too quick.

16. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Then don't feed pellets every day, they're the main reason captive turtles have highly accelerated growth. Feed natural foods like insects, fish, worms, etc. but a portion the size of your turtle's head every day. Your Murray should look like this on a diet consisting of insects, shrimps and yabbies, whole live fish and a lot of plant material...

934-1358406318-79d9fa34c346c25ea5f39f37ed3115d6.jpg

17. matty_g_8

Sorry, But I don't feed my turtle pellets at all, well haven't for over 8 months. Might be confused with other poster in this thread.

We will feed him daily, we usually have duckweed, elodea, val and feed fish in his tank and feed him either woodies or earthworms alternating.

18. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Well you SHOULD be feeding your turtle pellets weekly to supplement calcium and D3. Pellets are for turtles like a multivitamin pill is for us. It just ensures they're getting enough of what they need, especially D3. Turtles kept indoors are more prone to having deficiencies since they see a lot less natural sunlight and their diets aren't near as varied as their wild counterparts. I suggest getting your turtle back onto regular consumption of Exo-Terra Aquatic Turtle Pellets and Hikari Cichlid Gold.

19. matty_g_8

Ok, I wasn't sure. So going forward if I am to feed him every day and keep a supply of duckweed,val, elodea and feeders. I should feed him pellets at least once a week and alternate between roaches and earthworms the other days?

20. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Your turtle could do with pellets 2-3 days/week.