1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

Turtle Safe Skimmer Box for Pond

Discussion in 'Filtration and Water Chemistry' started by lucckky, Apr 16, 2018.

1. lucckky

lucckky Hatchling Turtle

State:
    New South Wales
    Hey Guys,

It has been a while since I have posted on the forum.

Over the last few years I have purchased like four Oase Swimskin 25 Pond Surface Skimmers for my turtle pond, they run fine initially, but with the turtles climbing over them it causes the skimmer box to pop out of the water enough for the motor to run dry and eventually die.

I was wondering what other forum members used for a surface skimmer in their ponds?

The pond is question is around 14,000 litres, I use a Bestway 2000gal (7,571L) Flowclear Sand Filter/Pump and haven't got a skimmer box running ATM.

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Senior Turtle

State:
    QLD
    Hi, sorry there's been no replies!

I'm honestly not aware of anyone on here that runs surface skimmers on their outdoor pond setups. That would probably be because no one builds or places their ponds under trees.

3. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    NSW
    Oops, sorry I missed this post. I actually had a skimmer box on both of my ponds but turned them off because I lost too many fish to the pond filter.