1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Turtle pudding - wombaroo mix

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by thomasls123, Feb 7, 2015.

1. thomasls123

Hey all,

I just wanted to clarify something about the wombaroo insectivore rearing mix powder in the turtle pudding suggested on the Care guide. I have been looking at the past threads but I can't find anything about the amount of Wombaroo powder to add?
    It says in the Care guide "mix with gelatin and water to form a sticky paste", so I have 250g of Wombaroo mix and 20g of gelatin leaves. I also have 250g of white pilchards and about 100-120g of prawns.
    So do I use the entire packet of wombaroo mix and make it the 'base' of the mix? or should it be more like, adding a tablespoon or so to the blended up fish and prawns?

Anyway I hope this all makes sense. This is for my ELN's by the way.
    Thanks for any help. :)

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi mate, I believe you use the lot to form the base of the pudding and simply add what extras you want like the pilchards and prawns. The combined mixture can be divided into suitable meal sized portions and frozen for use at a later date. A tip with the prawns, remove the heads and tails and use the middle section unpeeled. ;)

3. thomasls123

Great, thank you for that. Just wanted to make sure. :)

4. TomAndLil

TomAndLil Egg

Hi,
    I also have a question about the Wombaroo mix recommended in the care guide so I thought I would chuck it in this thread. On Wombaroo's own site there is no product for reptiles called "insectivore rearing mix" - there is one for birds and there is something called "reptile supplement". Is the reptile supplement the thing we are talking about and the company changed the name of the product? Or does everybody use the one for birds?

Also, I looked at the ingredients of the reptile supplement and two things concerned me. First it says it contains meat meal, and my understanding was that mince meat is one of the biggest turtle no no's. Secondly the second listed ingredient is soy protein and I understand it is bad to feed turtles beans of any kind. With the beans though, I understand that the problem is that they are high in phosphorus so is it okay because it is just the soy protein and not the whole bean? The meat meal still worries me though.

Any pointers appreciated

5. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hey mate, that is why we only recommend the Insectivore rearing mix.
    http://www.wombaroo.com.au/birds/finch/insectivore-rearing-mix

6. damianpl

damianpl Administrator

I've used the reptile supplement before - but won't any more!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

+1!

8. AndreaR

AndreaR Hatchling Turtle

Adding this thread also! Can I add woodies into the mix? I won't been able to maintain our woodies for much longer down here in Melbourne due to weather and starting a full time job, so I wondering about putting the woodies into the pudding. I plan on freezing them first! Also, are the winged adults ok for turtle?
    Now, somewhat of a dumb question, but the instructions for pudding suggest perhaps blending if needed. I am not willing to donate my Kitchen Aid blender to my son's turtle as much as I love them both, so any cheap alternatives one could suggest?

Thanks,
    Andrea and Zach

9. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi Andrea, I’d recommend buying Zach a cheap blender to be used for turtle food only. You can pick one up for around $30 form Billy Guyatts or eBay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE...996432?hash=item33b0e2f6d0:g:Aj4AAOSw5dNWjby1
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Kamb...721988?hash=item1c7f1d7804:g:PP8AAOSwWxNYukBR

https://www.billyguyatts.com.au/russell-hobbs-colour-control-blender-20230au.html
    And yes, you can freeze woodies for use later in the season. I did it in the Noosa Hinterland for my turtles. Winged adults are fine.

10. AndreaR

AndreaR Hatchling Turtle

Thanks Craig for your very prompt response! I'll look out for cheap blender. I was actually wondering if I could throw the woodies into the pudding mix along with other goodies as well?

Cheers,
    Andrea

11. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi Andrea, you can throw the woodies into the mix without blending them but you will need to use appropriately sized woodies. Adult woodies with wings for small to medium sized turtles are not advisable as the wings can scratch and annoy their throats on the way down and are sometimes regurgitated out and wasted.

12. Davarian

Davarian Hatchling Turtle

Thought I'd let everyone know about my first ever batch of turtle pudding:

Equipment
    Ninja IQ Blender
    Ice Cube Tray

Ingredients
    200g Wombaroo Mix
    200g Prawns
    1 Bag of Duckweed (Plastic microwaveable lunch bag scooped full)
    1/2 Cup of Calgrit
    50g Gelatine
    Red Food Colouring

Place all in blender, add warm water and begin to blend, adding additional warm water when needed. When done pour into ice cube trays and let sit in freezer.

Turned out great! Havel (My 1 year old River Murray Male) loves it!

I take one frozen cube out of the freezer the night before I feed him and place it in the fridge, in the morning its almost a jelly/ice-cream hybrid texture.

And one of the best parts is that this made enough to cover his feeding for at least 4 months!

Word of warning: I feed Havel in a separate container to his tank so this isn't an issue for me but the above creates a bit of mess, little plumes of red colouring are left after he takes a bite, nothing major but best to feed in a separate tank or perhaps increase the amount of gelatine.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Craig

Craig Administrator

Awesome, thanks Jack. Would Havel still eat the 'turtle pudding' without the red food colouring?

14. Davarian

Davarian Hatchling Turtle

I'm fairly certain he would, I haven't tried it without the colouring but I imagine it wouldn't effect the taste of the mix by a great margin.

Only reason I added the colouring was I've always heard anecdotally that turtles are attracted to the colour red (I'd somewhat seen this myself with him eating red coloured food pellets before/faster than other coloured ones) so I decided to add it to the mix as it's comprised of ingredients that are safe for their digestions.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 28, 2017 ---
    Also, as a side note, fish love it too.

I bought him 50 neon tetras, plus his 4 comet goldfish from his 2ft tank that he never touched, when I upgraded him to his 5 x 2 x 2 tank, however, four weeks later he hasn't eaten any of them!

I ran out of fish food the other day, so as a stop gap measure I dropped in a cube, chopped into three sections, into the tank (while I had Havel grabbing some sunlight outside).

The fish went into a frenzy as soon as it hit the water, devouring it all within a minute.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Craig

Craig Administrator

A turtle's sense of smell would be enough to attract them to the 'turtle pudding', especially if it has prawns in it.