1. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them. Lest We Forget.

Too much duckweed?

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by Mai ngo, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:19 PM.

1. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Hi AFT!
    Just wondering if its possible for a baby turtle to each TOO much duckweed? I put a whole bunch in there and my baby Murray River turtle is going nuts for it. I'm feeding him only every second day with food the size of his head guppy/feeder fish/house fly and one turtle stick/pellets - the rest of the time he is munching on duckweed. He's acting like he's super hungry though, always looking for food.

2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Mai, he can eat as much Duckweed as his heart desires. It is very beneficial for him to fill up with aquatic plants, especially those high in calcium like Duckweed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Thanks Craig, very good to know. Time to buy more duckweed! :)

4. Rodney

Rodney Hatchling Turtle

Hi Mai,

Duckweed is super easy to grow. One of the storage containers would be great. Just keep it in a shady location. The glass shrimp and Gambusia will provide the nutrients for the duckweed. In case you missed it Duckweed is high in calcium.

5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I disagree, those storage containers aren't BPA free, nor are they UV stabilised. As they break down and leach toxins into the water, they're absorbed by the duckweed and then inadvertently passed onto the turtles. To keep duckweed safely outdoors, use a large terracotta pot or dish like the top of a bird bath.
    My outdoor duckweed setup.
    4258-1471410785-bd1c7f6429efe080cc8fad652660ba0d.jpg

Alternatively, you can dedicate a second, separate indoor aquarium specifically for growing it. A 6500 Kelvin light tube works wonders.
    My indoor 2ft backup duckweed setup.
    4085-1458429565-e768bc0f08c3cc7f20d86c9536376ac3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Rodney

Rodney Hatchling Turtle

Hi Kev

OK thanks for that. My containers are in the shade but I guess they breakdown over time releasing toxins. Presumably the same applies for the plastic Bunnings sand pits .

7. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Yeah, I have a small (100L) outdoor pond with a very old goldfish in it, and duckweed grows like...well, like weed. I have to scoop it out regularly so it doesn't mulch itself.

I also have it in my indoor guppy breeder tank, without a light (but next to a window) and it grows like crazy there too.

8. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Yes the cheap light blue Bunnings shell sandpits also break down and leach BPA's and toxins into the water. The heavy duty thick green plastic turtle sand pits are BPA free and UV stabilised and are OK to use.

9. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes hence why I only use mine for basking my turtles in outside without water.

10. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Ahh, thanks everyone!! I'll buy a whole bunch and pop it into a bird bath type thing. Bunnings had a bird bath on sale over the weekend, ill go check it out to see if its terracotta :) Am picking up the glass shrimp too, so I'll throw them in there too.