1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

This is where my turtle sleeps

Discussion in 'Turtle Behaviour' started by Jaydey171, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Jaydey171

Jaydey171 Hatchling Turtle

State:
    QLD
    3C2670C5-F52A-4D6D-BDFA-431D2957EF0C.jpeg My turtle sleeps curled up under his dock, between the pole and the glass. WTF? He has a lovely ceramic “turtle hut” that I bought him (which you can see below), and he chooses to sleep under the dock. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him go in the “hut”. :laugh:. It’s a “fish hut” now - where the feeder fish go to hide from him. Typical child- buy them a toy and they play with the box.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Squirt4

Squirt4 Sub-Adult Turtle

State:
    Victoria
    1A9199D9-8993-473E-ACA5-1C6DFBF2B502.jpeg It’s hard to believe my Squirt was ever this small but when I first brought him home he slept every night in this blue artificial plant. Now he hides and hunts in his val of an evening in the dark so I can’t find him haha.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    NSW
    This is where some of my baby Mary River turtles used to sleep.

To get up there they used the 'slingshot' force of the water current from the filter to force them against the glass and to stay up there.
    SQUASHED19.jpg
    squashed12-1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Senior Turtle

State:
    QLD
    Nothing out of the ordinary here... All of My Emydura turtles have slept like this under the floating dock at some point.. It's convenient for them, close to the surface for easy breathing yet sheltered from above to avoid being detected from the air or potential predators that would be wading in shallow water like Herons and Stalks.

Macleay River turtle.
    3421-1418444308-96003f7ab44fe3732980c3d6073fefb9.jpg
    Turtles have evolved over millions of years and have ingrained behaviours/habits, In captivity, these habits aren't forgotten or done away with, they're just adapted to the captive environment. Your floating dock represents an undercut bank to a turtle. My pair of ELN's especially love holding up under the floating docks, matter-of-fact, they spend the bulk of the daylight hours there, becoming increasingly active after nightfall.

Other sleeping spots include within a floating tangle of weeds just under the surface, again, for easy breathing and camouflage.
    Macleay River turtle.
    3112-1401774560-a5464c0c2dfdbcf5647317dffe25afa6.jpg

What I have observed over the last few years though is that Flaviemys purvisi does not sleep like this at all. They ALWAYS sleep on the bottom, under driftwood, in pots, under the filter inlets/outlets and they rarely withdraw into their shells to sleep, but rather stretch completely out, hind legs, neck and just sleep with their heads resting on the substrate.

• Like Like x 4