1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Tank setup

Discussion in 'Keeping Turtles Indoors (Aquariums)' started by Floater, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Floater

Floater Juvenile Turtle

2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

G'day Scott. That tank looks amazing! Well done.

Are you in Sydney? For some reason your IP address says that you are in Adelaide.

Moving tanks is definitely not my favourite thing to do. I had to move my 8ft tank with the help of 2 other guys. Almost killed me.

The last move I made I just hired a 6 metre skip bin and got a neighbour to use his small excavator to pick the tanks up and drop them in the bins and smash them, stands and all. Much more fun and a lot easier on the back.

3. Floater

Floater Juvenile Turtle

Yep, I've moved to South Australia from Sydney.

Getting a new tank the next time I move will definitely be considered. (Might go for an 8' or 10' )

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Just 12 months ago, Easter long weekend 2016, I had to move my custom 4X3X2 (equivalent of a 6X2X2), 1.8km from my old unit to my new house. It was the last thing to be moved and the most difficult and stressful. At 4ft long and 3ft wide, it won't fit through a standard doorway upright. It had to be manipulated onto its side and then carefully walked through the door and down 2 steps and loaded into a padded truck specifically designed for transporting aquariums.
    With a 25mm thick double glazed glass base and 12mm glass sides, it's not light, it weighs double what I do when completely empty!
    It took myself plus two professional aquarium movers using half a dozen glass suckers almost an hour to get it from my old place to my new residence which thankfully has big double glass sliding doors so it was walked straight into my new living room with minimal difficulty.
    Thankfully it won't be moving again any time soon!

I didn't get any photos on moving day last year, was too hectic, however these pics are when it first arrived at my unit back in December 2012... My wife was far from impressed that I'd gotten an aquarium which now took up more than half the available living space in our tiny 2 bedroom unit.
    1128-1360391016-9a540c8b30ffdb0d7a59a72b6dd79348.jpg

1133-1360391334-856fb53694abe5c3e35a9d6ba861ba14.jpg

Flash forward 12 months to 2013.
    3908-1445503762-e2174d14e87035748b13f53f3a427e71.jpg

Starting out from scratch at the new house, March 2016. This place is a split level residence with 2 separate living areas. Needless to say, this one is all MINE! Happy wife = happy life. :laugh:
    4288-1472428379-147f8a1210de7a2208d8f764a607a416.jpg

That's a a huge tank for just one turtle?? I can only see that you have one turtle in your photo? Is that right? You could get away with a 4X2X2 if that's the case...

5. Floater

Floater Juvenile Turtle

Yes there is only one ELN in the tank. I prefer having "oversized" aquarium, I've always lightly stocked my aquariums when I was just keeping fish. Easier to keep a more stable environment. I've applied the same rules to my turtle, the tank in the picture is 6'x2'x2.5' (LxWxH) roughly 700-750 litres after allowing for sand/calgrit and space at the top, running three large Eheim canister filters on it which do, collectively, about 5500L/h.

Fish in the aquarium for the last 6 months consist of:
    • tiger barbs (lost 1/15 to the turtle)
    • cherry barbs (lost many to turtle)
    • cherry shrimp (only survive in the filters now, being red the turtle has caused them to become extinct in the tank)
    • ghost shrimp (turtle fodder, but breeding)
    • corydoras sterbai (lost 3/5 to turtle, at $26ea ouch :cry:)
    • white cloud minows (lost many to turtle)
    • otocinclus (lost 3/4 to turtle, also expensive :cry:)
    • siamese algae eater (evaded the turtle!)
    • guppies (breeding and countless eaten)

Having a larger tank also allows the fish I have in there to hide from the turtle and breed. I have to top up the amount of guppies in the tank about 2-3 times a year as the tiger barbs consume some of the guppy fry, and the turtle decimates the fry population as they're easy targets.

I've just ordered 5 more Siamese algae eaters (great at evading the turtle and good cleaners), 5 more corydoras sterbai (I really like these and add some interest in the bottom region of the tank, if he eats these that's it, not buying anymore), and 20 platies as I want to try add a little more colour, but being orange/red I'm sure the platies will be dinner before they know it.

I never put anything in the tank without expecting it to become turtle food. I'm considering some dwarf neon rainbows as they stay quite small but will add some blue to the colour scheme.

My real goal for the aquarium has been to create a self sustaining eco system (as far as turtle food is concerned), something interesting to watch with a number of different things going on and the turtle being the centre piece.

The turtle is the king of this tank, it is actually very interesting to watch how the fish adapt to his presence. Whenever I've added a new species of fish to the tank a number are usually eaten straight away and the ones that survive are the ones that recognise the danger of the turtle. Having a large tank gives the fish other places to be so they aren't super stressed all the time, most of the fish in this tank have produced fry but none of the fry, other than the prolific guppies, have made it to maturity.

Wow, that turned into a bit of a novel!

6. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Hey mate, word of advice, remove the White Cloud Mountain minnows from the tank. You should avoid letting your turtle consume those. Along with goldfish and carps, the minnows are extremely high in thiaminase enzymes, that when ingested, will break down thiamine, (vitamin B1) and render it completely useless. This will cause your turtle to suffer from a deficiency and over time, cause it to have drastic problems with its nervous system. It will ultimately lead to its death.

The below image depicts where the thiaminase enzymes cleave thiamine and break it down.
    Thiamine+thiaminase+enzyme.jpg
    White Cloud Mountain Minnows are not safe feeders for turtles.
    images-7.jpg

#6 Aussiepride83, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  7. Floater

Floater Juvenile Turtle

Yikes! Did not realise that. I knew that goldfish and carp were no good, did not realise the white clouds were no good.

I bought 30 last year in July, there are 4 left. I'm assuming that my ELN consuming 26 of these fish over a 10 month period won't cause any lasting damage?

8. Floater

Floater Juvenile Turtle

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully 26 minnows over that length of time isn't enough to cause a thiamine deficiency.

#9 Floater, Apr 22, 2017
  9. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

The problem is, even if there's sufficient thiamine in the diet, the presence of thiaminase enzymes render it completely useless. It's like the relationship with calcium and vitamin D3. You can feed your turtle loads of calcium but without access to sunlight and proper UV lighting for D3, the calcium can't be synthesised properly and utilised.

Hope this makes sense. Long story short, any thiaminase enzymes in the diet are bad as they're not counteracted.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 22, 2017 ---
    A documentary was produced on the effects of thiaminase enzymes on American alligators. It's a great watch if you ever have the time and interest.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #10 Aussiepride83, Apr 22, 2017
  10. Floater

Floater Juvenile Turtle

Brilliant doco, answered a lot of my questions. Thanks for posting that.

11. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

You're welcome from AFT.

12. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

You're welcome. That's what we're here for.
    AFT is about informing the general public and keeping you all up to date with the latest information and righting the wrongs created within the captive freshwater turtle hobby by so many self proclaimed "turtle experts", pop-up Facebook groups and ignorant pet store owners. Even certain vets have taken the hobby backwards with their arrogance.

3 of the biggest battles we face every day are :
    1. Frozen turtle dinners are "fine for turtles, my turtle goes crazy for them",
    2. Goldfish are "safe feeder fish, my local pet store sells them as feeders so they would know and my turtle loves them",
    3. Gravel and rocks are fine, wild turtles have rocks in their environment, they're a part of nature."

We will continue the uphill battle as long as there's people like yourself out there that seek the truth and want to better the lives of their turtles in captivity. ☺