1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

Sunshine for outdoor turtles

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Matthew Zanello, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matthew Zanello

State:
    NSW
    I'm new to this excellent site. Great Q&A's - it's been really interesting and helpful.

We are considering a new pond for our turtles (short necks, approx 4 years old). It is on the south-western side of our house. As the sun sets lower in the autumn/winter sky, the pond will receive less direct sunlight (summer/spring is no problem).

It does appear that morning sun is key to get turtles away to a good start for the day. Would a turtle light (similar to that used in our indoor turtle tank) be a possible compliment to the direct sunshine that they will get?

Any/all other commments/advice/suggestions gladly accepted.

Many thanks in advance,
    Matt.

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    NSW
    Hi Matt and welcome to AFT! :aftwelcome:

It won't be possible to waterproof the electrical equipment including the housing and the globe so it shouldn't be done.

I take it that the South Western side is the only place a pond can go?

3. Matthew Zanello

State:
    NSW
    Hi Craig - I appreciate your speedy reply.

The location is otherwise perfect and we live on a small block... so it's probably the only place we have for the pond. Our turtles are in an inside tank. We were hoping to give them some more space.

From what I've read in your responses to other threads, it does appear we won't be doing the turtles a favour by them not having morning sun through the cooler months of the year. Is that a fair call? We obviously want them to remain healthy/happy.

Cheers and thanks again.

Matt.

4. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    NSW
    Hi again Matt, yes that's correct. They need the sun in the morning to raise their body temperature as they are ectotherms. Think of freshwater turtles as being solar powered.

• Like Like x 2