1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by volunteer staff only.

Sump to Canister Filter

Discussion in 'Filtration and Water Chemistry' started by sambo135, Dec 5, 2017.

1. sambo135

sambo135 Egg

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, I'm looking at getting turtles in the future (once I get my tank setup).
    I've purchased (haven't received)a Reptile One Turtle ECO 120 tank(http://reptileone.com.au/products/housing/46189), which has an internal back sump, partitioned in 4 compartments (I believe).

Now the question I wanted to ask is:
    Would I be able to have a mechanical filter layer in the first and maybe second compartment, followed by the the inlet of a canister filter (which I would hope to have one coarse foam, and then 3 layers of bio-balls or a biological media), which then pumps back into one of the compartments in the sump containing carbon (as the chemical filtration) and then heater and sump pump back into the front side of the tank?

Or would another setup be more beneficial?

I was hoping that by having most of the mechanical filter layers in the sump it would be easier to clean.

Thanks Guys

2. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey mate, I got the eco 120 when I started, and let me just say it's a terrible tank for a turtle setup. For example, the maximum water level is too far from the lighting to be useful, and the powerhead compartment isn't designed for sand substrate like you need in a turtle tank. Plus for a fraction of the cost you can have a better one (as I opted to do when I realised all the problems with the eco 120).

Get yourself a custom tank (size depends on number and type of turtle) and a large canister filter, you won't regret it.

3. sambo135

sambo135 Egg

Ahh unfortunately its already been paid for.
    I was thinking about not using the built in dock (tying it down) and using a floating dock for the moment and in the future, an above tank basking area.
    'Working with what I've got.

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, can you not just request a refund??

5. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'd HIGHLY recommend doing that. It really isn't just the dock, you'll just end up frustrated with it. Even if you just ask for an exchange towards a custom tank and canister filter rather than a refund. I'm just trying to save you all the headaches I had to deal with for a couple of months!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sambo135

sambo135 Egg

Unfortunately I've gotten it posted as none of the larger tanks 4foot+ would fit in my car and for me to send it back would probably cost too much.
    I might have a look when I get the tank if it's possible to dismantle the sump area, floating I dock etc. and just run an external canister then. (have to see if it is doable when I get the tank).