1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Shedding long neck

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by Samanthamccracken, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Samanthamccracken

Hi all
    I have two long neck turtles. One is currently shedding all over his shell but their water is all correct and there are no signs of infection or issues apart from the shedding.
    My question is should I dry-dock the one shedding for a bit to help or is he better off in the water?
    My other turtle who lives in the same tank is showing no signs of shedding? Photos provided.
    Also his or her under belly (Plastron) is lighter where the shell has come off compared to the old shell.
    I'm not sure if she or he as I find it hard to tell.

Attached Files:

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello. No need to dry-dock your turtle, however dry time daily in the morning or afternoon sun will definitely aid the process. 20 mins daily until the shed is complete will suffice. The difference in colouration is totally normal.
    Would need a better photo with the tail not tucked away to accurately sex the turtle.
    4684-1510209528-2189b3a23890294528fb2ec1e5c24dc2.jpg

3. Samanthamccracken

Hey thanks heaps for the info !