1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Selling/Donating Freshwater turtle

Discussion in 'Free Equipment & Turtles to a Good Home' started by Jake James, Mar 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jake James

I am looking to donate the turtle I currently look after to someone who has the time, energy, and money to dedicate to it.

This turtle was passed onto me with no information on its species, sex, or age.

We think it's a male and roughly 8 years old.
    I am not looking to profit off of him, I just want him to go to a home where he can be looked after properly.

I live in Ipswich, Qld 4305 and can only travel 50km to arrange pick up. The tank he currently lives in is not a part of the donation, sorry.

Please contact with ANY queries and I will do my best.

Thanks,

Jake

#1 Jake James, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Jake, can you please upload some photos of your turtle so we can determine the species and sex.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. damianpl

damianpl Administrator

Thank you for advertising it here, and not on Gumtree where a potentially clueless person might pick it up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jake James

Hi, I'm so sorry for this!

This turtle is still free to a good home. Would appreciate anyone's help identifying species and sex etc.

Thanks,
    Jake.

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply on this @Jake James
    This looks like it could possibly be a Macleay to me. It's the wrong shape for a typical Murray and its eyes are more yellow. It's the right size for a Macleay too... Thoughts? @Craig

6. Craig

Craig Administrator

I think that it's a Brisbane River turtle with the colouring under the chin and the fact that the Macleay males have much bigger tails than that even at that size. I also think that the slight pyramiding of the shell indicates that it wasn't kept in a large enough tank for the beginning of its life. The fact that all turtles in QLD are meant to be licensed and have the necessary paper work to accompany them which includes their common name and taxonomic/scientific name, strongly supports this.

The Macleay male in the photo below is 14cm SCL, just over 1 cm shorter than Jake's turtle and the tail is much longer and thicker.

pic 001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    #6 Craig, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  7. Jake James

Thanks for you help guys. Craig I think you are absolutely right about it being kept in the wrong size tank. I believe it might have been with a second turtle in only a 3ft tank. :( This is another reason I would feel so much better if someone could adopt this turtle and give it a good home with its proper requirements.

Thanks for all your help!!

Should I put this post in a different thread now?

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Jake James, May 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  8. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Craig

Craig Administrator

The turtle is in very good condition Jake and would make a lovely pet for someone.