1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Red spot/wound? on underside of juvenile jaw... help

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Required' started by dahemmi, Sep 11, 2017.

1. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

Took Stanley-cabbage out to bask today and saw he has a red spot on the underside of his jaw. The lump is on both sides so I am guessing that it is a natural part of his jaw, but the redness isn't. I have attached a photo of the red side and the healthy side. His behaviour is all normal- active, eating etc, but I haven't seen this on him before and am obviously concerned.

red dot stanley.jpg 5432367764754087879-account_id=1.jpg

#1 dahemmi, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM
  2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Is this your only turtle or do you have 2 in the tank? Are there any yabbies kept with this turtle?

3. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

It is either a bite wound (fish or other turtle, or what Kev was eluding to, a yabby) graze that occurred on something sharp in the tank or an accidental scratch from his own claws.

I'm leaning towards damage caused by a sharp rock that shouldn't be in his tank.

4. Craig

I'm confused Dahemmi. Do you have two turtles, one named Diesel and the other Stanley-cabbage or do you occasionally change your turtle's name?

5. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

I've never posted about a turtle named diesel?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 11, 2017 ---
    OK, I've taken the rocks out of his tank though I am unsure whether they were the only abrasion mistake I was making. I don't have yabbies, but I do have some 'feeder shrimp' (maybe glass?) living in there with him, their nippers look very small though their body is about as long as his- can they cause harm? I have been taking him outside for 10-15 minutes to bask daily or twice daily and because he seemed distressed being stuck in his container, I let him walk around on the concrete- I actually suspect this might be where he got the graze :( I messed up.

Other fish in his tank = guppy fry x 11, neon tetras x 10, feeder gudgeons x 8, P. gibbiceps x 1.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    oh, and only one turtle in the tank. I looked back and I had commented in Turtle-Wurtle's post about his turtle named Diesel to ask Kev if it was OK to take a turtle outside twice in one day- not my turtle though, I only have stanley-cabbage.

6. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Never let a turtle walk on concrete or bitumen. Why? Go and drag the tops of your fingernails across the concrete and watch what happens to them.

7. Craig

My mistake, I see how that happened. I had two pages opened at the same time. Mea culpa.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

:(

Will he be OK without any treatment and just not letting him on the concrete again or do I need to do anything to prevent infection?

9. Craig

Hi Dahemmi,

It would be a good idea to take your turtle out of the tank, dry him off and put a small dab of Betadine ointment on the wound and leave him out of the water in an escape proof container for 2 hours before rinsing ALL of the Betadine off then return him to the water as per the dry-docking guidelines in the following thread. https://www.australianfreshwatertur...or-dry-docking-sick-or-injured-turtles.14160/

10. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

Thank you Craig.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 12, 2017 ---
    I found him dead in the bottom of his tank last night, I have no idea how he died, I am heartbroken and can't stop crying.

11. Craig

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss! (:rip) (:patback)

Could he have been trapped under or in anything?

Is it possible that the water was too deep and he drowned, as he wasn't strong enough to swim to the surface in time?

I know that this is a difficult time for you but would you possibly be able to upload some recent photos of your turtle tank please?

The aim of this is not to criticise you, but to try to work out how it happened so you can make changes that will ensure it will never happen again.

12. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

I'm sorry to read of your loss.
    Can you please post your water chemistry results.

13. ashtimba

ashtimba Hatchling Turtle

So sorry to hear of your loss, Dahemmi.:cry:

14. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Oh mate I'm so sorry to hear this...feeling for you. If you get a chance to answer the guys' questions it might help work out what happened. Take care. :cry:

15. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

I've gone over and over everything in my head and I can't work out how he died. I would really like to know because I feel destroyed and like I do so much research and try so so hard to get it right and I can't do it. I don't have a whole lot in my life- I am very sick and disabled and my happiness comes from caring for my turtle and I am just beyond devastated by his loss, plus ashamed that I must have killed him. I just really miss him. I will take some photos and give any info I can to work out what happened. All my confidence is gone with turtle keeping but I just don't know what I did wrong- I read all the info I could get and spoke to everyone I could. I tried really hard to get things right but I didn't.

I know he didn't get stuck and drown because he was just on the bottom of a sandy area when I found him. He was a strong swimmer and had lots of climbing and resting places near the top of the tank and I had made sure he could surface for air without trouble. We had visibly contaminated water coming from taps in my area for 3 days so I hadn't been able to do a water change for a week while I waited for water samples that I sent to a lab to be returned confirming the metals and other contaminants were gone from our drinking water- but I don't think the water could have got deadly in that time? And the fish are all alive? I don't know. :(
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 14, 2017 ---
    3000088676274363164-account_id=1.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    3000088676274363164-account_id=1 (1).jpg

16. Craig

Hi dahemmi, just one thing I've noticed is that the glass of the water heater is sticking out of the water and that it doesn't have a heater guard over it to prevent burns to your turtle's skin if he holds onto it when he comes up to surface for air.
    Water heaters should not be sticking out of the water. They usually have a line on the plastic thermostat part at the top that the heater must be submerged to.
    Did you take a photo of your turtle just prior to or after he passed away? That would help us immensely.

Are you using a T8 or T5 UVB fluorescent reptile tube?

Is there salt and Calgrit in his tank?

Is there any ornament, log or other thing in your tank close to the sides of the aquarium that he could have been trapped between and the vertical glass walls of the aquarium when trying to come up for air?

17. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Hi, can you please do a water chemistry test for ammonia and nitrite? Were you using salt in the tank at all?

18. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a heater guard, I'll see if I can find one and submerge the heater better.

I have a reptile one UVB 5 tube in the fixture at the moment, as well as the plant glo UV light in the other fixture. I took him out into the sun twice the day before for 10-15 minutes of basking.

There is not yet salt or calgrit in the tank. I haven't been able to source calgrit in Brisbane, though I've tried and had not yet added salt.

The tardis ornament is near one side of the tank but that's not where I found him, and I had thought there was enough gap for him to pass it.

With regards to the lighting etc, I'd only bought him 2 weeks ago, I don't know much about his care from before then. :(

With regards to photos- the earlier photos in this thread were from the day before he died- I have others but he seemed fine that day. I didn't take photos when I found him, however my partner wrapped his little body and has put it in the freezer until we can bury him tomorrow- I find it too upsetting to photograph him but I could ask my partner to tomorrow if you think it would help? :( When I found him he had no visible injuries that I could see other than some damage to an eye from a shrimp that was eating him after he died.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Original Post Date: Sep 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM ---
    pH 8.1

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM ---
    4678096581338866209-account_id=1.jpg 4678096581338866209-account_id=1.jpg

Attached Files:

19. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

You have a pH of 8.1 without calgrit? Where do you source your water?

20. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Sorry, I'll need you to refresh my memory, I don't recall reading anywhere what species of Emydura Stanley-Cabbage was? Was he/she a Murray or Macleay?