1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Not basking

Discussion in 'Keeping Turtles Indoors (Aquariums)' started by ashtimba, May 11, 2017.

1. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Megan,

Someone who worked at Sydney Aquarium brought me a turtle many years ago that had an identical problem.
    I took the turtle and dug through the skin and found that the bone eating, anaerobic bacteria had eaten through the skull and the brain was exposed. It took 3 months of rehabilitation but the turtle survived and the skin eventually grew over the wound.
    If it is what I think it is then it will need to be opened up and the dead tissue and cheese like, granular pus removed ASAP as the bacteria will not stop unless it is removed. A course of antibiotics will not stop this bacteria by itself. I'm really sorry for giving you this horrible diagnosis, but it is in the early stages if it indeed is the aggressive bacteria I think it is.
    Once again I apologise for the bad news, but at least it's in the early stages and can be stopped.

2. Craig

Staff Member

If you're not confident doing this procedure yourself then I thoroughly recommend that you see a very experienced turtle Vet as soon as you can.

3. Craig

Staff Member

Hi again Megan, can you private message me when you have a chance before you go to see a vet please?

4. ashtimba

ashtimba Hatchling Turtle

Hi Craig,

Thank you for picking this up! I am unable to private message you (due to your privacy settings?) so could you please message me? Do you know any experienced vets close to the Sunshine Coast? I have contacts with a few vets as I have previously worked as a vet nurse, however none are experienced with turtles. They could possibly assist me, with direction/guidance from an experienced vet though.

Please do not apologise!! You have saved Raphael's life with your information and support already, and I'm extremely grateful to have your expert advice!

5. Craig

Staff Member

Hi Megan,

One thing that has been bugging me about the lump is the time it has taken to increase in size. If it was infected with the aggressive bacteria it would be much larger by now. When the bacteria eats away at the bone and tissue it causes a swelling upwards as well as a large hole underneath.

Although there was a definite increase in size, it wasn't as large as it should have been after 10 months.

Hold off on the Vet for now and watch what happens. If the size of the lump continues to increase or your turtle starts to behave erratically then yes, a vet appointment will need to be made.

Unfortunately this is one of those situations where I would have to see the turtle myself. A vet would have the luxury of seeing your turtle in person and all I get to see is 2D photos.

6. Craig

Staff Member

IMG_1727.JPG
    In this photo here taken back in August, Raphael doesn't appear to have a lump at all. Photos can be deceiving depending on the angle they're taken from. I can't wait for cameras that can take 3D photos.

7. ashtimba

ashtimba Hatchling Turtle

Thank you Craig. I understand the deception of the camera! There is a slight raised area on Raphael's head but definitely not as big as it appears in some of the photos. The side profile photos show this. In all honesty I haven't noticed the lump increasing in size. I will keep a close eye on it now and pray that it is nothing sinister.

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. Hopefully it's all good but at least now I know what to look for and I am confident I will get the best advice right here!

8. Craig

Staff Member

Now that it has been brought to your attention I'm sure that you'll notice any slight changes in size. That's why the more sets of eyes viewing the same picture is always helpful.

• Like Like x 1