1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MathiasSnow, May 14, 2018.

1. MathiasSnow

MathiasSnow Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Hello my name's Matt and I have not got a turtle yet but I am planning to get an indoor setup soon and was looking for some pointers.

So I have read over some of the care guides and at this stage planning to get a couple of Macleay River turtles. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any specific care guides for Macleay River turtles?

2. What size tank is best? I am currently looking at getting a 4 foot long by 2 foot high by 2 foot wide tank.

3. Do baby turtles require a different filtration to the adults. As I have been advised that too strong filtration adversely effects their swimming. Also is there any filter that people can recommend?

4. Any photos of setups to get an idea of how to layout the tank?

Cheers

Matt

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    Australia
    Hi Matt and Welcome to AFT! :aftwelcome:

Please have a look through the first 2 links for help setting up a turtle tank correctly.

Please also read the third link on Keeping Two Turtles Together. I cannot stress highly enough the importance of not keeping 2 Macleay River turtles together. They will be fine whilst they are very small but eventually one will dominate the other and that's when the damage starts. The aggressor will be violent in its behaviour to the one that is more timid.

The other links can be read at your leisure.

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

The following is essential reading Quick Reference Guide :arrowright: How To Set Up An Aquarium For Turtles and Feeding Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the Recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the Skin Infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs Dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks, please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtle's shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Senior Turtle

State:
    QLD
    G'day mate and :aftwelcome:

As already mentioned above... 2 Macleays together is about as bad a combination you could get when it comes to keeping turtles. They may be small, (the smallest available to amateur keepers in Australia) but they're BIG on attitude, a lot like small dogs are.

Another point to mention is that Macleays are not recommended for beginners, especially someone who's not kept turtles before or who isn't well versed in aquarium keeping and water chemistry. They are NOT a forgiving species when it comes to human error with water chemistry and husbandry shortfalls, especially relating to their diet.

I would definitely advise you to start out with an ELN (Eastern Long-Necked Turtle) - Chelodina longicollis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Thanks for the info Craig and aussiepride, I was looking at eastern long necks too... so I think I will go for one of those!... will one be ok in a 4 foot tank, or am I going to have to look bigger for one of them?

5. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    4x2x2 would be the minimum but would be fine for an ELN for life.

6. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Cool I may at some stage upgrade if it looks like he wants more room... my next question then is will he be OK in that sized tank when he is still little? Like no issues with it being too deep?

7. Craig

State:
    Australia
    Yes he will provided he is not a fresh hatchling and is at least 6 weeks old and you have lots of aquatic plants for him to hold and hang onto at the surface in the tank.

8. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Ok cool so plants... is there any you would recommend for this purpose ? Also what would I need to keep that plant growing, like special lighting or any fertilisers ?... and do eastern long necks eat plants or only insects and fish?

9. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    Hey Mathias, have you read the links Craig has provided for you above, especially the first two? They will answer these questions for you. Then if you have any questions that aren't covered in those links, we'd be more than happy to answer them.

10. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Yeah just a bit of info overload sorry, my brain's trying to catch up haha... so the Eastern long-necks don’t eat plants... but what plants would be good for them to climb onto... or is a mix of any tropical plant OK? And do the plants require any extra fertiliser or will they get enough of this from the feeder fish/turtles?

11. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    Nah all good mate, it's just those links are there to save us saying 99% of the same things to everyone. :)

Vallisneria is good because it grows in the substrate and reaches to the surface so can be used by hatchlings like a ladder to go from the bottom to the top if they need. Elodea is good too, especially if left to float at the surface. To be honest, very few plants will survive the water parameters of a turtle tank given the salt levels and pH levels, but there's a list of plants that are safe and unsafe for turtle tanks here.

Some of us use plant fertilisers like Seachem Flourish, but others just let the nitrates do the work depending on how your specific ecosystem works. It's all a bit experimental. Yes you'll need a plant tube as well, I have had good success with the Aqua One tropical tubes, so have a thriving, well established val forest.

With an ELN you won't have an issue with them eating the plants, but all turtles are rough with their environment so the earlier you can get the roots and runners established the better. That way when you add the turtle it's harder for the little bugger to uproot and throw the plants around.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Thanks mate cheers this is all very helpful! So Elodea and Vallisneria sound like a safe bet... After reading your post on the safe plants link you sent there was a section for terrestrial plants... I’m assuming that’s for the dry dock in the tank?... I didn’t even think about plants there... is it a good idea to have some on the dock? And if so what substrate is recommended to plant them in? And do you recommend any plants?

13. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    No, those are more for outdoor pond setups. You won't want plants on the dock for an indoor setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    That makes sense! Totally forgot about the pond set ups!...

OK so I have ordered a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank and now trying to work out the filtration... would something like this be appropriate?

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/fluval-fx4-filter.html

It says it pumps out 2650 litres per hour, which I think works out to be approximately 7 x volume of the tank... but my concern with a baby turtle would it be too strong a flow?

15. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    It would be fine but to be honest, the Aqua One Nautilus 2700 is about half the price and at least as good a product, if not better. The flow rate would be totally fine assuming you're using the spray bar under the water and have plants the turtle can rest in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Craig

State:
    Australia
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Whiz

Whiz Sub-Adult Turtle
    Diamond Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    :nicetomeetyou:@MathiasSnow :turtlewelcomesign:

Just to give you a fair idea - My two's are bigger and very naughty, they climbed on the spaybars (2 in each tank) and do all crazy things from it when I had them sitting horizontally, maybe doing somersaults from it (:dontknow):D but nah, it is too close to the top bracing. All my outlets have changed since to as pictured below:
    Filter Outlet Attachments.jpg
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Sweet will go with that one then and make sure I have plenty of plants, thanks for the advice!

• Like Like x 2
  19. MathiasSnow

Bronze Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    So are you suggesting to modify the spray bar? Sorry just a little confused

20. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    Should be fine to use like this, only with the intake at the right corner.

4649-1505199849-07bf642a05aacb9f85699d2f8e3cdf87.jpg