1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Need help with looking after turtle (don't have one yet)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Davi the turtle lover, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davi the turtle lover

Davi the turtle lover Hatchling Turtle

Hello, I am need help with a few things with the short necked turtle that I will buy. First of all if it is summer and the water starts to become hotter and hotter in the tank I know it will affect the turtles health especially smaller turtles, do I just buy some kind of water cooler or just put the tank in the shade.

2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi, when you say "put the tank in the shade", I hope you aren't intending on keeping the turtle tank outside under direct sunlight.

No, you don't buy a water cooler.

Please read the below thread on how to set up a tank for turtles properly.
    :arrowright: https://www.australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au/threads/quick-reference-guide-how-to-set-up-an-aquarium-for-turtles-and-feeding-guide.15322/

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

You need to thoroughly read through all of the links we've given you.

I want to know what aquarium plans you have for this proposed turtle.

4. Davi the turtle lover

Thanks to both of you. And when I said in the shade I meant indoors and like behind something.

5. dahemmi

dahemmi Hatchling Turtle

I am also curious about temperatures, my house got to 43+ degrees one weekend and a day later my turtle's kidneys appeared to fail. There were a lot of complicated circumstances at the time that I don't know if I can emotionally drag myself through explaining, but I wasn't able to be there to help him for reasons outside of my control. To this day I still suspect that the heat was the trigger for his death and I wasn't sure I'd ever have a turtle again after losing him- it's been 2 years and I only JUST got Stanley 2 weeks ago. I was totally helpless to protect myself or him at that time and it still sickens me thinking of it

6. Craig

The only thing you can do if you are not home is to purchase one of the new air-conditioners like the one I recently purchased. You can buy a LAN equipped Daikin Inverter air-conditioner like I have or any other brand of air-conditioner that is LAN equipped, and install the App on your smart mobile phone. Then you can monitor the air temperature of the room your tank is located in from anywhere that you have mobile data service or Wi-Fi for your phone. If the day turns out to be much hotter than you expected then you can turn the air-conditioner on using your home Wi-Fi from virtually anywhere.
    Other than that you will need to stay home on very hot days and if the room gets very hot and the water temperature rises too high then you should have plenty of frozen 2 litre coke bottles filled with water in your freezer to place in your tank to cool the water down.

Having a room temperature of 43° Celsius would be hot enough to heat the water temperature in your turtle tank over 34° C, which is when it starts to become dangerous for your turtle. Switch all of your lights off on any days where very high temperatures are predicted.
    Ceiling fans also help as do 'heat and sun blocking' curtains, but they won't be effective under temperature extremes.

Daikin.jpg

7. Craig

This would be enough to cause the water to overheat, and if you also have heat lights on they would increase the water temperature even more. This would definitely have been enough to cause organ failure.
    Sorry for your loss! (:patback)

8. Davi the turtle lover

Thanks to you @Craig and dahemmi sorry for your loss.:reaction::cry:
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 12, 2017 ---
    I wanted to ask if you know about how to care after a Murray River turtle or already know about them that would be appreciated very very VERY much.. Cheers!!!

9. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey Davi, if you read the Care Guide that has been provided (if you missed it, there is a link in my signature below), and the setup thread which is also linked to in my signature below, they will likely tell you everything you need to know about caring for Murrays. If you have any questions after reading those, feel free to ask. The Care Guide is there so Craig and Kev don't have to start from scratch explaining everything every time someone wants to begin looking after a turtle, and they are invaluable resources provided for free, so take advantage of them and read them cover to cover several times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Davi the turtle lover

Thanks for the Care Guide. I really want to know what do if the temperature in my room gets higher than 32 C, please tell what to do because summer is just around the corner.

11. Craig

Please read this! This is all you can do. Please don't ask us again as we have already answered you.
    We are providing you with the information how to care for a turtle, you just have to read and understand it.

The only thing you can do if you are not home is to purchase one of the new air-conditioners like the one I recently purchased. You can buy a LAN equipped Daikin Inverter air-conditioner like I have or any other brand of air-conditioner that is LAN equipped, and install the App on your smart mobile phone. Then you can monitor the air temperature of the room your tank is located in from anywhere that you have mobile data service or Wi-Fi for your phone. If the day turns out to be much hotter than you expected then you can turn the air-conditioner on using your home Wi-Fi from virtually anywhere.

Other than that you will need to stay home on very hot days and if the room gets very hot and the water temperature rises too high then you should have plenty of frozen 2 litre coke bottles filled with water in your freezer to place in your tank to cool the water down.

Having a room temperature of 43° Celsius would be hot enough to heat the water temperature in your turtle tank over 34° C, which is when it starts to become dangerous for your turtle. Switch all of your lights off on any days where very high temperatures are predicted.
    Ceiling fans also help as do 'heat and sun blocking' curtains, but they won't be effective under temperature extremes.

daikin-jpg.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Davi the turtle lover

I am really sorry Craig for annoying you it is just I was confused but now I've got it.

Thank you very much.

13. Davi the turtle lover

I have found out that turtles contain salmonella. Is it true and if it is can we avoid it somehow, is it harmful to children and do Murray River turtles (Emydura macquarii macquarii) contain it.

Cheers!!

14. Craig

I have read that a lot of wild animals carry salmonella as part of their normal gut flora, but whether this is true I cannot say. I do know that a large part of my huge turtle collection was tested for salmonella by a Uni student doing a study, but all results came back negative.

In the United States there is always news of outbreaks of salmonella in young children that have handled pet turtles. A lot of these turtles are fed on red meat or red meat products which we here at AFT do not condone. A natural, well balanced diet without red meat or 'Turtle Dinners' means that your turtle will have a better chance of battling any illnesses, and salmonella poisoning shouldn't occur. Having said that, you should always follow a strict hygiene protocol and never handle a turtle when you have cuts or open wounds, and never put your fingers in your mouth after handling a turtle or the water or ornaments and filters that are part of your turtle's setup. My 3 children were raised with turtles, snakes and lizards. I would have to say that my kids at some stage ended up with a reptile limb in their mouth, and on occasions kissed my turtles, lizards and pythons. Myself nor my kids ever had a problem.

Have a read of the following thread and also do an advanced search on salmonella for other threads. https://www.australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au/threads/salmonella-and-children.1941/

15. Davi the turtle lover

What kind of chemicals do you need to add into water so it will be safe for a short neck swim?
    Also how much do I need to add?

Thanks!

16. Davi the turtle lover

Does anyone have/know about a how to care for a short-necked turtle video?

17. Craig

You're welcome!

18. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Read the care guide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Yeah, don't worry about any videos, just read the two links in my signature below (in blue and red) and if there's anything that's unclear or not covered, feel free to ask. Have you read them yet? We've all strongly recommended you do, so I'm not sure why a video would help.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

And just in advance for your next question... :thinking:
    :turtlecaresheet:
    READ THE AFT CARE - GUIDES!:barton:

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.