1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

My first message need help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Davi the turtle lover, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Davi the turtle lover

Davi the turtle lover Hatchling Turtle

Hi, I am a new guy here so I wanted to ask how long can a short neck turtle stay out of the tank and without water for?

Thanks!!

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi and :aftwelcome:

How big is the turtle? What exactly is its SCL - (straight carapace length)?
    7a4028dd-1.jpg

3. Davi the turtle lover

I don't have a turtle yet but maybe I will get one soon, can you please just tell me the size?

Thanks!!!

#3 Davi the turtle lover, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  4. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Turtles are true aquatic reptiles. How long each individual turtle can remain out of the water for depends solely on the individual's size and weight. If you don't actually have a turtle, your question is pointless as it's like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

Word of advice, do not get a turtle until you have a properly set up aquarium that has been fully cycled. Cycling takes 6-8 weeks. Don't rush off and get a turtle ill-informed as it will simply die.

5. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey Davi, maybe you can tell us the reason behind the question - ie are you asking if when you bring your turtle home, how long can it be out of water? That's why it's difficult to answer your question - because as Kev said, it depends entirely on the type, the size, etc., but if we know a little more about the hypothetical situation, it can guide us to a more informative answer.

6. Davi the turtle lover

OK will do cheers!!

7. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

The following is essential reading Quick Reference Guide :arrowright: How To Set Up An Aquarium For Turtles and Feeding Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks, please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the
    Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

© www.turtles.net.au (Please note- ATK FB)

8. Davi the turtle lover

What kind of turtles can walk around the ground without water?

Thanks!!!

9. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

None, all Australian Freshwater turtles are aquatic and live in water. Tortoises are terrestrial land dwellers however there are no tortoises native to Australia. The only tortoises you can see are the ones kept in zoos.

Aldabran tortoise at Australia Zoo. Notice the club-like feet. Turtles have webbed feet like a duck, because they live in water.
    2570-1389981178-10c502c51b05428e748bfd437df4496d.jpg

All Australian Freshwater Turtles need to be kept in large, properly maintained aquariums.
    3908-1445503762-e2174d14e87035748b13f53f3a427e71.jpg
    3909-1445503772-1f93f12820b5928edc0bb2bb29b9f313.jpg

10. Davi the turtle lover

Yeah but I've checked and I am pretty sure some turtles can stay without water for an hour or 2.

11. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Yes that is correct, but it depends on the species and the size of the turtle. Some adult species of freshwater turtles can stay out of water for days and some hatchlings should only stay out of water for a few hours before becoming dehydrated.

• Like Like x 2
  12. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey Davi, again, what's behind your interest in this question? Why do you want to know? Is it just out of curiosity or is there a practical question you want answered?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

For example, an adult Fitzroy River turtle will quickly dehydrate and bleed from the cloaca when the Bursae (2 highly vascular organs that can remove oxygen from the water) located inside the cloaca dry out whereas an adult Broad-shelled turtle and adult Eastern snake-necked turtle can wander over land for many days seeking new bodies of water or nesting sites. They drink lots of water prior to leaving their pond and slowly absorb the water to prevent dehydration. females also release stored water in hard soil when excavating nests for oviposition (egg laying).

14. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Another point to mention here is that turtles cannot eat out of water so there's no point just getting a turtle with plans to have it walk around your yard like a dog and putting it in a bucket of water once/week to hydrate.

They're an aquatic reptile.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Davi the turtle lover

So I am probably going to buy a 4-6 month old short-necked turtle. I wanted to ask if it will be summer and my room will heat up or the electricity turns off and the water in the tank will heat up, do I buy some kind of cooler or just put the tank in a shady area?

Thanks!

16. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Buy your tank and all the equipment first.... you're looking at about $1,000 outlay, then ask questions about the turtle. If you got a tank today, you're still 2 months away from getting a turtle, minimum.