1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by volunteer staff only.

Murray River turtle on antibiotics and dry-docking, floating when put in tank

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by JamesK, Dec 5, 2017.

1. JamesK

JamesK Egg

Hey guys, bit of help needed.
    Took my buddy Carlos to the vet with a bad foot, it had opened up like a sore. He's been receiving antibiotics since Saturday (3 days ago), and I have been dry-docking him since. I put him into the water last night to feed and he was floating, looks like he's very weak. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or whether it's an issue? He's about 28cm long, big boy. When he first went into the water he had a small white discharge come out of his mouth, almost like coughing.
    Please help!

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

Hi James,

Can you please tell me what antibiotics the vet has prescribed for your turtle? This is very important.

When turtles are dry-docked for a long time they can dehydrate. The water stored inside your turtle to use as ballast (similar to a submarine) to submerge and remain neutrally buoyant and prevent floating is absorbed by the body and it can take half an hour to an hour for a turtle to completely hydrate again and be able to submerge properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JamesK

JamesK Egg

Fortum injection, ceftazidime.

4. Craig

OK, this isn't as painful as with Baytril injections, so it would have to do with what I mentioned above about needing to re-hydrate.
    Are you giving the injections to your turtle yourself? If so are they into the muscle or sub-cutaneous (just under the skin between the muscle and the skin)?

5. JamesK

JamesK Egg

Into the bicep muscle. He was in the water for a couple of hours today, was able to become submerged. Since taking him out he doesn't look like he's doing well. Not sure what to do.

6. Craig

Can you please upload some photos of your turtle and some photos of your turtle's tank?

7. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi there, although this info is outlined in dry-docking guide, I'll mention it again here in case you missed it...

Before dry-docking your turtle for any period of time, be sure to weigh it first with an accurate set of digital scales, (just removed from the aquarium and fully hydrated.) Throughout dry-docking, repeatedly weigh your turtle intermittently...once it has lost 10% of its original starting weight, it is considered dehydrated and needs to be returned to the aquarium to rehydrate.

• Like Like x 1