1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Moving interstate

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Required' started by Rhino, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Rhino

Rhino Egg

Good morning fellow turtle lovers.
    At the end of the year (December) I will be moving from Sydney to south east Melbourne. I have a Macleay River turtle (Mickey) which is around 2 years old. With Mickey's tank getting removed down by truck he will be without a tank for 9 days. 2 days before the car drive down the tank will be picked up. And once down 6 days before the tank will arrive.
    What is the best way to transport Mickey down in the car? And the best way to look after him while he has no tank?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Firstly, my sincere apologies!

A small container with air holes in the lid and a slightly damp towel or face washer underneath. Place a dry face washer over the top of your turtle to make him feel safe and secure and less exposed. Don't let the container overheat at any time in the car by leaving it in the hot sun. Don't place the container anywhere near open windows where it will be exposed to draughts.
    Don't place the container on the floor of the car, especially during the summer months as friction heat will radiate up through the container.

Buy a food grade container like the ones in the photo below. Add Calgrit to the container and just add straight tap water to the container. Change the water daily after feeding or when your turtle has defecated.

4626-1503808225-b3b09cec764fcd93b66f148528c2f9c8.jpg

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

ROTFL
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 8, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 27, 2017 ---
    Well I'll be... I know the advice around here is free and all but a "thank you" wouldn't go astray.

You're welcome Rhino. You'll fit right in down in Victoria.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

:laugh: Yes, definitely fit right in. Perhaps we should give him Stockwit's address and phone number?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey, we're not all bad down here! :p

6. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

No, but those that are more than make up for those of you that aren't. :laugh: