1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Looking for musk turtle breeder (Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Patrick, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Patrick

Patrick Egg

Hey, as the title suggest I am currently looking for a location in Melbourne where I can buy musk turtles. Also I saw a website that ships turtles but I thought that might be cruel, or is it fine to get it shipped by plane?
    Also with the UV light bulb, I'm gonna have the 2.6 feet (length) tank near my window where sun goes through the window very often. How long should I keep the bulb on?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions. It's going to be my first time buying a turtle.

From Patrick.

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Patrick, it's actually illegal to import exotic turtles and all reptiles into Australia. You'll need to settle for one of our many Australian species.

3. Patrick

Patrick Egg

Thanks Kev, did not know that. But I remember reading somewhere that there is a musk breeder in Australia, maybe I misunderstood. Also do you have any suggestions for a turtle of similar size when it gets older? And similar care needs and temperament?

Thanks Patrick

4. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Patrick and welcome to AFT!

You certainly don't want to end up like this bloke.

Kennedy 1.jpg
    Kennedy 2.jpg
    Kennedy 3.jpg
    Kennedy 4.jpg
    Kennedy 5.jpg

5. Patrick

Patrick Egg

Hey, what turtle do you think I should get in replacement of the musk turtle. I just want one around that size.

Thank you.

6. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Patrick, I assume you're talking about Sternotherus odoratus?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Australia doesn't have turtles in the pet trade that small. Our smallest turtle is the Western Swamp turtle and they're not available to the public due to almost becoming extinct. Our next smallest is the Macleay river turtle growing to 18.5cm but they're not for beginners as they're really hard to care for in captivity and take quite a bit of experience. All other species of Australian Turtles grow from 24cm right up to 45cm.
    2016-11-24 17.41.41.jpg
    2017-01-01 20.31.41.jpg
    2017-01-16 10.14.15.jpg

7. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

That last photo is magic Kev! I'd love to meet the photographer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GregC

GregC Hatchling Turtle

I'm jealous guys. I'd trade you musk turtles for side/snakenecks all day long.

Common musk turtles are fairly common here and definitely underappreciated. I recently acquired some Pelusios nanus, another neat and small turtle, but nothing that you can import.

Greg