1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

Lighting up Turtle world 2.0

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by Amy-Leigh, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Amy-Leigh

Amy-Leigh Sub-Adult Turtle
    Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    (Daniel )

HI Guys,

I am just looking for some ideas on how best to light a 5 foot tank. It seems that the UVB lights seem to stop around the 4 foot mark, at least that I have seen :) . So I am looking at a few ways of doing this including 2 x3 foot lights (T8) overlapping in the middle on the glass support or maybe a suspended 4 foot T5 fitting.

All idea welcomes as I want to get turtle world 2.0 open soon for Chicken to move in to !

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Senior Turtle

State:
    QLD
    Hi mate, if I had a 5ft tank, I'd just use a dual 4ft reflector and let it stop short at one end which would just create a bit of a light intensity gradient which would be beneficial to your turtle, especially if it wanted to catch 40 winks during the daylight hours which is normal for turtles to do. By no means will you tank be dark if you do this. It will just be slightly less bright at that end which if you think about it, would be more natural for a turtle anyway.

You can by all means overlap 2X 3ft or 2X 4ft reflectors if you wish to do so and want a substantially brighter looking aquarium... but honestly, if you're tank is only 2ft wide, it's not necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    That might be a good call I think mate, I pinched the single off the other tank temporarily.

Please excuse the photos ... My phone is older than the turtles. DSC_0335.JPG DSC_0334.JPG

4. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    Tank is still a bit off colour with the tannin. But the water is actually good. :)

5. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    NSW
    Hi Daniel and Amy-Leigh, are you using a few Purigen pillows in your filter to remove the tannin and 'polish' your water?

6. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    (Daniel here.)

We are, the small secondary filter inside the tank is fitted with them, I must admit it is more because I know tannins can lower your pH rather than for any cosmetic reason. I actually like the colour. :)

Went all over the place today, was able to pick up a double T8 light fitting for 50 dollars. Also I added the dock, heat lamp and lowered the water.

Tank 2.jpg Tank 3.jpg Tank 4.jpg Tank1.jpg

I just need to pick up a heater guard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aussiepride83

State:
    QLD
    Hey mate are you running 2X UVB fluoros in that dual reflector? If so, you don't have to. Replace one of them with a 6500k daylight fluoro (available from Bunnings for about $9.) Keep the second UVB tube aside as a spare and replace the working one with it in 6 months time.

UVB fluoros alone will not sustain aquatic plant growth.

#7 Aussiepride83, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    One UVB 10 and one daylight plant tube, have to give the plants some love before they are shredded.

• Like Like x 2
  9. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    You guys are smashing this. Great work!

10. Aussiepride83

State:
    QLD
    I would just recommend you re-position the porcelain clamp lamp so it is actually directed at the basking dock. You have the right idea but the lamp is angled wrong and is missing the dock.
    4433-1484428355-37e82e4f52c9f63e2dbc3752c7048904.jpg
    4434-1484428363-d224693594aa2c738f9ea6e493fe778a.jpg

This time of year, the 75w lamp should get you the desired basking temp of 30-34 degrees C.
    4624-1503712584-3003934d39fee32c74557daad12cb4dd.jpg

Use an infra red laser thermometer to test your basking temp.
    4118-1462254326-566e9d7db7d994e207b8a714a37bfa46.jpg
    4117-1462253933-5f013dded1c6ef00b7fcbeef58f68be9.jpg

11. Aussiepride83

State:
    QLD
    Oh, I just noticed you have goldfish in your tank, no doubt for the purpose of cycling... keep an eye on them, goldfish are extremely fond of Elodea and duckweed. They will reduce your Elodea to leafless stalks and consume all the duckweed in no time at all.

That is a really nice big piece of driftwood you have, I daresay it will release tannins for a long time. Rest assured, the tannins in no way are harmful, they can actually be beneficial in that the turtle will feel less exposed and more comfortable in water that's slightly turbid. I also don't mind the natural look of the stained, weak tea coloured water. Years ago when I used to keep several aquariums full of south American tetras, I used to use products like black water extract specifically for staining the aquarium water. This would enhance the colours of the tetras tenfold and keep them stress free and happy.

Diamond clear aquariums are for our OWN personal satisfaction. Many of the critters we keep in aquariums would much prefer the naturally stained water that tannins create. Provided the water chemistry is in check, pH, KH, GH, salinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates... there's nothing to worry about. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    (Daniel)

It has been about 5 weeks now since the start of Turtle world 2, or as I have started calling it Madison square garden.

I am thinking it may be time to move Godzilla into his new home. All waters are back within range and have stabilised. I did push this cycle a bit faster with seachem and prime.

Oh course it will be monitored on a daily bases for a month or two just in case the bio system go ways out of wack :) I feel bad for kicking the goldfish out !

21042018.jpg

On a Side note, we just made a donation to AFT. The amount of info here is staggering and with all the help we have received it just makes sense.

Thank you again for all your help

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #12 Amy-Leigh, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  13. Anna C

Anna C Administrator

State:
    Adelaide South Australia
    Thank you to both Amy and yourself Daniel for your donation !!! As AFT runs purely off donations any help is most appreciated to keep the site up and running !!! (:thewave)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    It's so satisfying to see when folks take the advice and run with it - what you've done there with turtle world 2.0 is awesome and Godzilla will love it, and most of all live a long and healthy life because you will both make sure of it. Thanks for your donation too, it was only recently that I discovered just how little AFT runs on, and how close it is to shutting down because of lack of donations, so it's greatly appreciated when folks like yourselves pitch in to enable others to receive the advice they need.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer

State:
    NSW
    Thank you both for your kind donation which allows AFT to continue with its website and forums to help yourselves as well as others look after their turtles! :thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    (daniel)
    20180422_081009_001.jpg

Well the move happened this morning, he seems to be adjusting to his tank he is already eating the shrimp in there. Give him a few days to use the dock and he should be right as rain in there.

Does keep trying to dig under the log, any reason for this? beside him being from the shallow end of the pond :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Aussiepride83

State:
    QLD
    Normal behaviour for turtles to dig and wedge themselves under driftwood. They do this to rub their carapace and initiate the shedding of old scutes. Can be funny to watch them do it. All my turtles jam themselves under the driftwood and do what resembles pushups. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Whiz

Whiz Sub-Adult Turtle
    Diamond Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Amazing piece there. (:yahoo):yay:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amy-Leigh

Gold Level Supporter

State:
    QLD
    Daniel here ,

I have been getting a bit obsessive over this lamp, I seem to get some very high reading with the infrared thermometer.

I changed the bulb to a 60 and while most spots average out at 30-35 there seems to be odd hotspots of 40+ . I am wondering if this is a misreading as I have seen Godzilla move himself to those spots ... so surely it can't be that hot!

20. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    The first laser thermometer I bought was faulty, registering ridiculous numbers. Test it on stuff you already know the rough temperature of and see if it gives any accurate reading. If not, it could be the thermometer.

• Agree Agree x 1