1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Light coloured ring around top of shell

Discussion in 'General Turtle Care Discussion' started by CooperF04, May 19, 2017.

1. CooperF04

CooperF04 Egg

Hey, I've had a little Murray River turtle for 2 weeks and just wanted to post a photo to see if he's developing OK? :)
    Along the edge of the shell it's lightly coloured and almost looks chipped and rough but it's been this way since I got him and just wanted to know if it's OK and part of his growth?
    He's eating normally and showing no signs of anything wrong except for that he never basks (never leaves the water really).
    On the days I give him some pellets, I leave them on the dock and he will always wait until I'm across the room before crawling up to snap them up and run back to the water.
    Thank you.
    18578952_1787763424870744_826363047_n.jpg

#1 CooperF04, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017 at 5:39 AM
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

G'day and welcome to AFT.

Your turtle's shell appears normal except that there is very large growth rings indicating rapid growth from possibly being overfed. Can you tell me what your turtle's diet consists of and how often and much you are feeding it.

Some larger photos of the turtle would be much easier to help determine if anything is requiring treatment, etc.

Can you also provide some large photos of your turtle's set up and a little info on the filter, heater and UVB lights etc.?

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello and :aftwelcome:

I agree with Craig, your turtle looks fine, apart from the fact it is growing way too fast.

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

An extremely helpful summary on Everything you need to know about starting out with turtles,
    setting up turtle tanks and diet etc.
    :arrowright: Everything you need to know about looking after turtles

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks,
    please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the
    Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.