1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

Lack of outdoor time

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by Amy-Leigh, May 15, 2018.

1. Amy-Leigh

Amy-Leigh Juvenile Turtle

State:
    QLD
    Hi guys Daniel here, this was typed on a phone so please excuse the grammar and the odd auto ducking correct. :p

Amy and I are a bit concerned that our two little guys aren't getting enough outdoor time due to the fact that we both leave for work at 7-8 in the morning and before that it is cold and almost dark outside. Same goes for when we get home.

They get weekend time, but I don't think this is enough.

We are talking about setting up an indoor tanning salon for them using a MVB bulb as I understand these have heat and UVB . This way they can get their sun time without getting them or me frost bite.

Does anyone have a similar setup or some guidance on this ? I know that we can't really replicate the sun, but if it can help them I am willing to try.

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    Australia
    Hi Daniel, use the MVB on a Zoo Med Reptile Lamp stand and a wire cage clamp lamp at a minimum 30cm away from your turtle. A large container that they cannot escape from is important but it must be large enough so as to provide a cool and and the warm basking end. As a substrate for the container you can use an old tea towel or bath towel.

Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand.jpg
    Zoo Med wire cage clamp lamp.jpg

3. Amy-Leigh

Amy-Leigh Juvenile Turtle

State:
    QLD
    Thanks Craig, any benefit to actually having a substrate of sand or grass ? I don't mind putting in the the work to set this up so any suggestions are welcome. :):swimmingturtle:

4. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    Australia
    The sand will get too hot and if your turtle urinates or defacates it will be very messy to clean up. So no, both are unnecessary.