1. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them. Lest We Forget.

Keeping Yabbies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dylandrog_, Mar 20, 2017.

1. dylandrog_

dylandrog_ Hatchling Turtle

Hey guys!

I was just wondering how everyone looked after their live yabbies before feeding them to your turtles? I've simply kept all mine in a bucket, however, I feel as if I could improve this.

2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Check out this yabby breeding sheet.

3. Marcus B

Marcus B Sub-Adult Turtle

I keep mine in a pond, with the turtles. They breed successfully in there but occasionally I need to boost the population.

4. Chigibub

Chigibub Hatchling Turtle

I have currently set up a few tanks with male and females in each tank. I have had yabbies for years but never ever bothered to try to breed them. Now having turtles, it has motivated me to. I have always fed my yabbies frozen peas, corn and carrot mix. I'm curious as to is there a certain size they have to be to feed to turtles though? My ELN turtles are 4 years old, (SCL is about 25cm.)
    Are larger yabbies OK to chuck in with them if I take the claws off? Or will they be too hard on their mouths?

#5 Chigibub, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017
  5. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Short-necked turtles are able to crush them and bite bits off larger yabbies, but ELN's should be fed appropriate sized ones as their mouths are not as tough as a short-necked turtles and any cut or scratch will risk giving your turtle stomatitis and canker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Chigibub

Chigibub Hatchling Turtle

Thank you. :)

#7 Chigibub, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017