1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Is white shell under scute normal?

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by KDS, Nov 4, 2017.

1. KDS

KDS Egg

Hi there,

My Eastern long-necked turtle is starting to shed some of its scutes and the shell underneath is a very different colour to the rest of its shell (much whiter). I've done some browsing but I can't find anything specifically that says whether this may be a problem? The scutes have come off in one clean piece.

Can anyone advise whether this is normal or if something may be wrong?

The shell is still firm. The turtle was growing too fast but we've slowed it's feeding. It's tank is outside (undercover balcony) and has UVB light on tank. Have just checked the water level and there is a bit of ammonia (0.25 per million) so we'll fix that (our feeding fish have bred and we probably now need to get rid of some of them). Turtle is almost 3 years old...

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1056.JPG

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi, no that definitely isn't normal.

There should be black pigment on the bridge and some delineating the edges of the missing scute on the plastron, as with the photo of Kev's turtle in the below post. It doesn't appear to be the shell under those shed scutes.
    I can't wait to see what it looks like after all the scutes are shed.

Has your turtle ever been on a strong course of antibiotics?

What does your turtle's diet include?

Can you please include a photo of your ELN's tank?

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

I think more scutes need to be shed, then perhaps the tell-tale dark lines delineating the scute margins will be visible. My ELN's plastron is that uniform bone colour. All those retained scutes aren't normal, but the new looking turtle underneath is.
    4608-1503089997-028cd22fe986083400a99342f36e9fe3.jpg

4. KDS

KDS Egg

Hi,

Thanks so much for your swift replies. Over the past week our ELN has lost a lot more of its scutes and I think you're right - the new plastron is looking much more like yours (photo attached).

Thanks,
    Kristy.
    IMG_1106.JPG

#4 KDS, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM
  5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yep, all good, looking beautiful. No concerns there.