1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Interstate transport

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Christine, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Christine

Christine Hatchling Turtle

I'm wanting to get a turtle transported into Perth WA and I know they're fairly strict here, so has anyone got turtles transported here and what was the experience like? What's the official process? What happens when they land at the airport? The transport company wasn't familiar with the process so I'm hoping someone can tell me how it goes. Thanks heaps!

2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Christine,

The first thing you need to do is get a licence by filling in an application at the following website: https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/images/documents/plants-animals/licences-permits/Fauna/herpetofauna/Herp_Keeper_Application.pdf

There is a list of certain reptiles that you are allowed to keep. You won't be allowed to import any turtle into WA that is not on the list.

You will need to fill in the application with the name of the place that you are purchasing your turtle from as well as the common name and scientific name of the turtle. You will also need to fill in an import licence application and pay a fee. https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-and-animals/licences-and-permits#bringing
    Qantas freight licensed reptiles all over the country so you will need to contact QANTAS air freight and organise flights etc. with them once you have all your licenses.

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-and-animals/licences-and-permits/fauna-licences

I'll contact one of our members who imported turtles into WA not too long ago and get him to help you with your questions.

3. Christine

Hi, yes I've already got the correct licensing for a turtle, is qantas the only transport company allows to freight turtles in? Thanks again

4. Craig

Staff Member

Hi Christine, it's been a few years since I've sent turtles by air but the last time I did it QANTAS was the only interstate air freight company that would accept reptiles.

It is also usually the person freighting the turtle interstate his or her job to organise the interstate freight.

5. Christine

Yes I called up a few transport companies today and none would do turtles, they all said qantas is the way to go so I'll be making that phone call tomorrow to gather prices. I can't seem to find any in or around Perth which is why I'm turning to interstate. I just have no idea where to start with air freight, like do they collect it, fly it then you pick it up with all the proper information or are they taken away and there's a process in getting them?

6. Craig

Staff Member

The person selling the turtle to you packages the turtle and puts his export permit on the outside of the wooden or Styrofoam box and takes it to the airport and lodges it with QANTAS air freight. He then rings you and tells you the flight details and what time the turtle is arriving at the airport . You will need to allow at least half an hour after the plane lands for the air freight to be collected and taken to the air freight depot. You then arrive and give them your name and possibly driver's licence for ID to collect and sign for the package with your turtle in it.

7. Craig

Staff Member

Have you tried Armadale reptile park for a turtle?

8. Christine

OK great that is very helpful, thank you very much.

9. Christine

Um no actually I haven't? I've asked many pet shops, asked all over Facebook, gumtree and even went as far as asking breeders interstate if I could be pointed in the right direction to find a turtle in Perth. It each and every time no one knew anything or could help so I decided interstate is the way to go, and I even got a lot more help from people over there then I did from anyone here. :laugh:

10. Craig

Staff Member

Give Armadale Reptile Park a go. They should be able to help you or at least point you to a breeder/dealer of turtles there.

11. Craig

Staff Member

You're welcome. Good luck in your hunt and if you do get a turtle we can help you with setting up a turtle aquarium and all the rest of your husbandry queries.

12. Christine

ll definitely give them a call, thank you again!
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Yes I'll be posting a great deal on here now I know there are people happy to help and know what they're talking about!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Steve Applin

Steve Applin Adult Turtle

I'm able to give you some guidance on it Christine. You're in for quite an experience, you'll get to deal with quarantine and DPAW.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 9, 2017 ---
    I've PM'd you.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    I've PM'd you Christine.
    What are you planning on bringing in Christine? I was recently looking for Emydura australis and I'd be interested in splitting the import costs with you for that or Chelodina steindachneri.
    Don't know what I was thinking above E. australis I meant victoriae

• Like Like x 1
  14. Christine

I haven't found anything that's allowed in this state yet, but I've a feeling I'll have more luck finding one over there than I am finding one here, so I'm open to splitting costs if you find something that's allowed here!

15. Steve Applin

To the best of my knowledge there is nobody currently commercially breeding turtles in WA, and there is nobody outside of WA who deals in Chelodina colliei or Chelodina steindachneri. Emydura victorae is new on the list and it's unlikely that there is anyone who deals in it in WA, its natural range is the far north of the Kimberley. There are a couple of places in the NT that deal in it, such as Hurleys Aquariums, though they didn't have any when I asked about a month ago. I haven't tried any of the other pet shops up there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scottr0076

Hey Christine, what turtles are you after? There is a few around for sale at the moment, flat shells and oblongs. As for red faced, Steve is correct, there are none in the hobby in WA at the moment, but stay tuned because soon there will be.

17. Steve Applin

I'm interested in buying some flat shells too Scottr0076. How far are you off getting some red faced?