1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

IBC tanks for pond filtration

Discussion in 'Filtration and Water Chemistry' started by Pizzuto, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Pizzuto

Pizzuto Hatchling Turtle

Hi guys, has anyone used a 1000l black UV resistant IBC tanks as a filter for your pond?

I was thinking of using two of them on a 4500l pond. These black UV resistant ones would be better then the standard white ones.

Any suggestions?
    Screenshot_20170619-141736.jpg

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hey mate, I haven't used one of these but I can't see why they wouldn't work if you use the black UVB stabilised ones as you mentioned.

What will you be using in them?

Scoria rock would be good for biological filtration as the surface area it would provide to harbour nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria would be huge.
    On top of the scoria you could use some filter matting to remove the large solids from your pond. All you have to do then is hose the detritus from the filter mat as often as is needed. It won't block up as quickly as if you used filter wool and the matting is reusable, over and over again.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/192156398102?chn=ps&dispItem=1&var=492070314700
    filter mat.jpg

You could use some plants in the other one to remove the nitrogen from the pond. Cyperus papyrus, Dwarf papyrus (Cyperus haspan) and Juncus effusus are good bog plants that can have their roots permanently under water and are good filter plants.

Juncus effusus
    Juncus effusus.jpg

Cyperus papyrus
    Cyperus papyrus.jpg

Dwarf papyrus (Cyperus haspan)
    Dwarf Papyrus, Cyperus haspans.png

• Like Like x 1