1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Help wanted

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by Jac ELN, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jac ELN

Jac ELN Egg

I have a 15 year old ELN and I’ve just got a few questions.
    I haven’t had him his whole life but since I’ve had him he’s been in a large tank (I’ve checked with your guidelines and it is big enough) with the proper lighting, fed live feeder fish and worms, living on a river sand and calgrit substrate with accurate salt and pH levels, taken out into the sun every second day and shed a full healthy shed.

He is always chasing fish around the tank (but struggles to catch them without help as he only has one eye and misses quite a bit). I always count the fish and make sure he eats either a fish or his head size worth of worms 2-3 times a week. Very recently it seems that he’s shedding but it seems like only one scute and it’s more breaking into little pieces and not coming off as a whole.
    Should I be concerned?

I’m more concerned because it seems as If he is breathing heavier recently. For about a week he’s (very slightly) been breathing a bit heavier. And when I take him outside of the tank every now and then he breathes through his mouth which is strange. I was wondering if there we any other food sources that I would easily be able to get a hold of to add some variety to his diet?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    I may just be a bit too worried but I don’t want anything to get worse.

2. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hi Jac and welcome to AFT !!
    It can help if you can post some clear photos, of not only the issue with your turtle, but also the set up that they are currently in.
    If you can post the exact numbers of your water chemistry, not just that they are OK, this could also prove helpful. All of this information can help pinpoint any issues, or underlying problems, and help you help your turtle !!!
    I am sure one of the experts will be able to help, as I am still learning, and I would follow to the T any advice they offer. You are in good hands, as if it wasn’t for AFT my girl wouldn’t be here today. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Jac and welcome to AFT.
    Just reiterating the importance of getting exact details of your water chemistry levels including current ammonia level, some clear and in focus photos of your turtle, the problem areas you are concerned with as well as photos of your ELN's full set up as Anna has already mentioned.

Do you use a digital salinity meter when checking your salt levels?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1