1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Help on frozen prawns

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by DanielleM, Nov 14, 2017.

1. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

Hi all,
    I was unable to get fresh uncooked prawns today for my short neck so I grabbed a couple of raw frozen. I know I need to soak them, do I take the shell and head, vein etc off before doing that? Also is it ok to refreeze portions after soaking? One prawn will probably last my little guy a few days.
    First time feeding prawns and I don't want to poison him! :)

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Danielle, when you soak them only use cold water to soak them in and remove the head and tail but leave the prawn shell on the body. Cut them up into small bite size pieces so your turtle gets the shell. The shell of a prawn is made of keratin which is the same thing your turtle's scutes are made from, so they are very beneficial. Don't remove the vein.

Don't refreeze the prawns. The more times you refreeze prawns the more thiaminase is produced and the more chance the prawns will go off and carry salmonella and other pathogens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

Thank you for your help :)

• Like Like x 1