1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

Discussion in 'General Turtle Care Discussion' started by Craig, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

2 days ago I had a phone call from someone who is not a member of this site. The turtle owner said a pet shop had mentioned to contact us as we may be able to help him diagnose the problem he was having with his turtle. Both the pet shop and he agreed that the turtle could be egg-bound.

After seeing the 4 photos I disagreed and said to take the turtle to the Vet ASAP as the turtle had a serious problem, and that I thought the turtle was a he and not a she. The turtle was confirmed as a male by the veterinarian.

I also mentioned that it could have been a number of things wrong with his turtle including cloacal abscess, cloacal infection, the result of trauma from the other turtle etc, etc.

The turtle went to the vet and was operated on straight away.

There was a blockage of aquarium pebbles/rocks in the turtles intestinal passage, which highlights why you should never use aquarium pebbles with turtle aquariums, and use AFT Turtle Grit as a substrate instead.

Please refer members to this thread when discussing the impacts of using gravel, instead of AFT Turtle Grit as a substrate.

Turtle-1.jpg
    Turtle2.jpg
    Turtle3.jpg
    Turtle4.jpg

2. Snowee

Snowee Sub-Adult Turtle

Ow!!!! that looks so painful.....Snowee :(

3. MatthewsTurtle

MatthewsTurtle Juvenile Turtle

This is why the moderators stress about not using gravel.
    I'll be sure to refer other members considering thinking of using or using gravel so that they can see the potential effects of gravel :).

4. Ausage

Ausage Sub-Adult Turtle

How could anyone let it get that bad? Why do have this horrible desire to do things that are not nice to someone I have never met on the other side of the world?

5. MrBitey

MrBitey Sub-Adult Turtle

Wow!!!

How could you not see something was wrong before it got that swollen? That is horrific.

Ben

6. Brian Mercer

Brian Mercer Adult Turtle

I feel crook after seeing those pics.

7. sam

sam Sub-Adult Turtle

Any opinions on whether or not this poor turtle will make it? It looks so painful!!

8. honeybeesweetie

honeybeesweetie Juvenile Turtle

Poor little guy!!!
    I am so glad I found this forum before buying a turtle!

9. Deb

Deb Senior Turtle

How on earth can someone leave this so long that the poor turtle ends up looking like this. I hope it isn't as painful as it looks but I suspect it probably is, poor thing.

10. mimirami

mimirami Senior Turtle

:eek: That is truly horrifying. That turtle must have been in excruciating pain.
    Any news on it?

11. Brian Mercer

Was it kept in a School??

12. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

No news yet unfortunately Miranda, but I'll let everyone know as soon as I do.

Brian, it's good to see that you still have a good sense of humour for someone your age :D

13. Brian Mercer

Your point is ??? :whip: You Young blokes are all the same (:pointlaugh). Isn't that right Ian?

(:new)

14. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Difinately??? Brian?? I can see that the old memory is starting to fail.;)

You said "was it kept in a school?" I thought that you were being facetious. lol

15. Brian Mercer

Sadly schools set up these little "Pet Projects"for the kids to watch with no real thought into the proper care. My Wife got me into turtles because the Special Education Class she worked in had 2 turtles. They weren't looked after properly at all and I used to take in fish for them. They were fed all the wrong food. No lighting at all, no dock , no plants I think and just an internal filter.
    Plenty of kids to tap on the glass and reach in a grab them if nobody was looking. These were Special Needs Children.

I didn't know any better then either.

:)

16. Jen

Jen Adult Turtle

:eek: OUCH poor little guy. I hope he recovers soon.

17. enragedinfidel

enragedinfidel Adult Turtle

That is terrible!

18. woosh-ka

woosh-ka Senior Turtle

Oh my goodness!!!!

Geez, I hope the little GUY makes a full recovery and I also hope who ever the owner is, has bought some Turtlegrit off you Craig:)
    and becomes a member here and listens to GOOD advice.

I'm sorry but I have to ask.....how could a pet store think this turtle was gravid??
    Turtles don't look like that when gravid, they should know better to at least know some simple info like this.
    The poor thing must have been in so much pain and it is clear it has been left for a long time before anything was done cause that is a huge blockage.

This is what we all warn against and too many people think it won't happen to their turtle....this is proof it does happen and it WILL happen as we all can see.

Please keep us posted Craig, kudos to you for doing what you do best, helping others when their turtles are sick and need EXPERT care and advice.

19. Tinka

Tinka Sub-Adult Turtle

Poor little guy, this is just so sad, I hope he recovers and can lead a normal happy pain free life.

20. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

I have just received word that this turtle has blocked up with aquarium gravel again, as well as the other smaller turtle that shares the same tank.:brickwall:

The owner mentioned that the pet shop told him this could never happen :mad: