1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Funny looking shell

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by Neffy, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Neffy

Neffy Hatchling Turtle

Hey guys hows it going ? :)
    Someone on facebook is selling a murray river turtle, but the photo she put up shows something going on with its shell. Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Stephanie, good thanks! I hope you and Apollo are keeping well.

It's difficult to see 100% what's going on because the photo has been taken so far away from the turtle's shell.

What I think is happening is that the turtle is in such poor condition that it is losing (not shedding) its scutes because it is in very poor condition and obviously being fed a poor and completely inadequate diet.

If you could get a closer photo (larger file too) I could give you a more accurate idea of what is happening.

How is your turtle now?

3. Neffy

Neffy Hatchling Turtle

This lady has the hide to say "perfectly healthy and ready to go now". I commented on her ad and asked if the turtle currently looks like that. Hopefully I can educate her on this turtles poorly kept conditions :(

Apollo is great now ! His shell is still healing from the holes left after lancing and digging out the pus. But apart from that his shell looks amazing. :laugh:

4. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Well done, that's awesome that Apollo has improved so much! ;)

5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Dear God... you can see the dermal bone under the scutes... that turtle is near death.