1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Free feeders in Melbourne to give away

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by smoyle, Mar 13, 2017.

1. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Just accidentally caught a couple of hundred gambusia while catching shrimp, if anyone wants them as feeders PM me. I'm in the north of Melbourne. Will want to be in the next couple of days or they'll die.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 13, 2017 ---
    I'll throw in a couple of handfuls of duckweed too, it's going mad at the moment. :)

2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

That's very generous of you Simon!

3. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Simon

Are they the Merri Ck Gambusia or the more invasive Yarra type? Is there free shipping over orders of 100 or is it pick up only? " Accident" or you have discovered the benefits of using the green light in the torch?

Cheers
    Rodney

4. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Ha, Merri Creek ones, pickup only, and accident in that I was scooping for shrimp but ending up with far more fish. They're everywhere at the moment, swarming.

5. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Simon,

Thanks. I will be right over. I recently took Kevin's advice and purchased a $7 bait trap. I have until then only used dip nets. The bait trap works fantastic. I use sardine heads.The bait trap with the cord allows the frame to be lowered from culverts and steep grass/muddy banks which had been inaccessible previously.

Regards,
    Rodney

6. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

So do you want them Rodney? Are you around Melbs?

7. AMAZING AMAZON

AMAZING AMAZON Adult Turtle
    Lifetime Platinum Supporter

Wish we could stock them but DEPI wont allow us to.
    Paul

8. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Simon,

It's tempting especially for the Merri Ck Gambusia. But I'm from Newcastle. I'm sourcing in the Gambusia closer to home. Thanks for the offer though.

Out of curiosity AFT highlights the benefits of silkworms and wood roaches. Are real bush roaches suitable? Also, how suitable are isopods and termites, especially for members living in the more arid zones?

#8 Rodney, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  9. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Rodney, It's difficult to say because you gut load your own feeder roaches with veggie scraps and dog kibble etc., so it all depends on what your local bush roaches are eating in your area. I'd stick with the ones that you know are getting the proper food. It's possible that bush roaches eat dead eucalyptus leaves and have residual eucalyptus oil in them, who knows? Eucalyptus oil is poisonous to a lot of things. Silkworms eat Mulberry leaves and as such pass on a high calcium content when they are consumed.
    When I had termites swarming of an evening out in the Noosa Hinterland I caught hundreds of them and fed them to my baby turtles.