1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Female Eastern Long Neck

Discussion in 'Free Equipment & Turtles to a Good Home' started by jrstegeman, Jan 22, 2017.

1. jrstegeman

Hi all,

I have a female ELN that I would like to give away to a good home. She is ~ 8 years of age and has had no health problems. Her name is Lucy and she has been with me for seven years.

My wife gave me to her as a birthday present with good intentions, however was unsuspecting of how much care is required to look after a turtle properly. I've done my best to look after her, with lots of help from these forums, but am finding it difficult to sustain the effort.

My main priority is giving her a good home, preferably with someone experienced in looking after turtles. I am happy to give away my turtle gear as well if it's the right person. She currents resides in a 4x2 foot tank.

2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Thanks, do you have any photos of the turtle that you could post for prospective new owners?

3. Marcus B

Marcus B Sub-Adult Turtle

Where are you located? I would be quite happy to give a home to a female, if you're in my area. I have two males and a female that live in my pond. I have a fourth turtle, whose sex I am still unsure about, but it has to live in isolation since it got bigger than one of the males and started attacking the female.

4. shroomsta

shroomsta Egg

Whereabouts are you located mate? I'd be happy to take her on, I've got an adult male already.

#5 shroomsta, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2017
  5. brett osullivan

My guys are interested in taking on a turtle also. Location?

#6 brett osullivan, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
  6. jrstegeman

Hi guys...

Sorry for the late reply. I live in Box Hill South. Does that suit?

I've attached some pictures.

Attached Files:

7. jrstegeman

Hi Marcus,

I'm just wondering if you're still interested? I live in Box Hill South.

#8 jrstegeman, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  8. Marcus B

Yes, I am still interested in the turtle, but I won't need the tank and gear as I already have my old stuff sitting a shed. It is much easier to maintain a well set up pond. Especially as it attracts live food in the way of insects (cricket, dragonflies, damselflies and native cockroaches which add to the fish and yabbies that breed in it.

I am in Carrum Downs.

Are you sure that it is a female? Can you take a better photo of its tail please?

#9 Marcus B, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Going by the photo of the turtle in the tank it appears to be male. @Aussiepride83

@jrstegeman Can you take the turtle out of the tank and take a photo like the one below please?

2-male_elnup.jpg

10. jrstegeman

Here you go...

IMG_6565.JPG

11. Craig

Craig Administrator

Sorry, is there any way that you can take the photo with the tail straight out?

I still believe that it is male.

12. jrstegeman

Hi Craig,

I think you might be spot on!

I didn't worry too much about sexing it when I got it as I wasn't breeding and didn't have any need.

I thought the scute angle was halfway between a V and a U - so no help there. The plastron is essentially flat, with the anal scutes minimally concave.

But the tail is quite long and the cloaca seems to be located well away from the body.

So I guess Lucy is in fact... Lucifer?

IMG_6646.JPG

What do you think Craig?

If the consensus is male would you still be interested Kev?

Apologies for messing you around Marcus if it is male.

I feel foolish. I'm tempted to take her to work and do an ultrasound...

13. Craig

Craig Administrator

Yes, a definite male ELN. Kev will be very interested in him.

The U and V shape method is absolute rubbish as we here at AFT have proven it to be wrong on many occasions. The ONLY correct method is by the tail.

A turtle group of inexperienced keepers on Facebook continually embarrass themselves by telling people that the V and U method is the way to sex them, which is very much 'hit and miss'.

Male & Female ELN 4.jpg

14. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

15. Marcus B

No ultrasound is required, that is definitely a male. The second photo confirms what I thought I saw in the original set of photos. The scutes can be deceiving as Craig has already said. There are a number of publications that offer this as secondary way of sexing turtles, but those that I have read do not say it is conclusive, but I know that some people insist that it is.

I already have one "female" turtle that I was given, by someone with "years of experience with lots of turtles" with scutes that look like that. He now tries to compete with my big male for the real female's attention, so you are certainly not the only one to be caught out this way.

My turtle, that has to be kept isolated due to aggressive behaviour, has a similar appearance. I am not convinced either way of its sex, but I suspect it is also a young male. Hopefully it will soon be more obvious as it is now big enough for the tail to develop fully. It was a rescued turtle, so finding it a new home is a bit more difficult.

I hope you find a good home for him.

16. Craig

Craig Administrator

I once drove over 2,200 kilometres to pick up a turtle I really wanted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

18. Marcus B

How about to Melbourne, as I believe that is where it is, unless there is a Box Hill in Sydney? ;):laugh:

19. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

There is a Box Hill in Sydney, I automatically assumed that was where the poster is from. :laugh: forget Melbourne! I wouldn't drive there for a magical unicorn.

• Funny Funny x 1