1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Feeder Fish and freshwater prawns

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by TropicalFish, Oct 25, 2017.

1. TropicalFish

Hi I need help on getting feeder fish and freshwater prawns for my turtles. Where do I get them from?

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Any local aquarium/pet store will sell them. Just be sure not to buy goldfish (standard or ornamental, coloured or uncoloured.) Any form of goldfish or carp cannot be used as feeder fish for turtles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey mate, whereabouts are you? Lots of us get feeder fish and shrimp from local creeks and lakes, you can trap them or net them yourself, especially introduced species like gambusia. There are some threads in the forum under the Diet and Feeding section that will be worth exploring.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. TropicalFish

Newcastle.

5. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi

In Newcastle the best spot I have found is off the main road at Maryland The creek/water channel across from the shopping centre. I was there 2 weeks ago and Gambusia are present but you will need longer cords than supplied with the bait traps.

A bit further along on the main road at the corner toward Plattsburg across from the landscape supplier. It is from the culvert. But again you will need longer cords to access the water.Large females were present who over winter.

Brush creek near Edgeworth Gambusia are present in the estuarine conditions.

If you go towards Morpeth taking the right turnoff near Astonfield ( I think ) on the Maitland road. The creek adjacent to the golf course . The parking is good on the grassy verge.

Another possibility are any channels near Federal park Wallsend.

I have travelled to Catherine hill bay , Wyee , up to Maitland , Kurri Kurri and Clarencetown. Very few Gambusia present or the access was terrible either embankments overgrown with vegetation or no area to park a car.

Buying feeder fish for turtles in Newcastle is not a great option. Generally the fish sold as feeders are rosy barbs or gold fish. Both species are unsuitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TropicalFish

Thanks