1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Duckweed in Sydney region?

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by kerryf88, Jun 19, 2017.

1. kerryf88

kerryf88 Sub-Adult Turtle

Hey guys, wondering if any of you know anyone or anywhere that sells duckweed around the Sydney region (preferably Western Sydney).

I've purchased mine from Watergarden paradise, but the shipping alone costs more than the duckweed itself! And for some reason I can't seem to grow them successfully, and if I put it in my turtle tank it all gets eaten in like 2 days. So I was wondering if there's anyone that sells them locally so I can drop by to buy some without the need for shipping fees.

Also just wondering as I sometimes see them in park's ponds... but I'm not sure if those are safe for my turtle since they are "wild" sourced? If they are I might just bring a small container and take some home.

2. Rodney

Rodney Hatchling Turtle

Hi Kerry,

I have gathered most of my initial water plants from natural sources not store purchased. I have never had a problem. The plants have been gathered from clean locations and washed well before added to my ponds. If there any doubts the plants, bog wood and Gambusia are kept in a high salinity solution for a few days to eliminate any parasites.

The duckweed I cultivate is kept in a shaded location inside at the front of a garage and grows well. It is only exposed to direct light a few hours per day. Previously in an outside pond (also shaded) bird dropping were inadvertently added to the pond. The fish died but the duckweed absolutely flourished.