1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Custom Tanks in Adelaide?

Discussion in 'General Turtle Care Discussion' started by Davarian, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Davarian

Davarian Egg

Hi All,

A new member, just joined today. :)

I've bought a Murray River turtle (not getting him till Saturday) who comes in a 2ft tank.

The little guy is about a year old and roughly 9cms.

I know the tank is too small for him so I am planning on getting a bigger one as soon as possible.

The two options that I'm looking at are:

1. The Reptile One Turtle Tank Pro 120 (If gotten I would be detaching the basking dock and using a better one) Got a deal for the tank and cabinet for $790

Or

2. A custom tank (Ideally 1500 L x 800 W x 600 H)

Can any one offer either reviews of the Reptile One tank or a suggestion for custom tanks in Adelaide? I've called a few places (Aggies Aquariums, Marine Plus) and for the above dimensions they are quoting me around $1000 - which factoring a stand, filter etc is just too much for me to spend.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hey Jack and welcome to AFT!

I originally bought that Reptile One tank, and would definitely NOT recommend it. These were a few of the several issues that made it really inappropriate for turtles:

* The major problem was the filter intake, which is on the bottom of the tank. With turtles needing a substrate of river sand and calgrit, I constantly had sand being sucked both into the filter compartment and the impeller itself. The gaps being so wide also meant any small feeder fish I had in the tank ended up being sucked into the filter compartment.

* The required water depth is too low for T8 lighting, and too high for T5. You'd have to rig T5 lighting up higher than the top of the tank.

* As you mentioned, the dock is a problem - it's too high and steep, and being in the centre meant it was too intimidating for a small turtle.

It looks terrific, particularly with the hidden sump filter and but practically speaking I found it a nightmare.

That said, I now have a custom 4x2x4 tank with Aqua One Nautilus 2700UVC, which I've found fantastic.

You'll be vastly better off with a custom tank, even if you have to pay a bit more.

3. Murtle's Mum

Murtle's Mum Hatchling Turtle

#3 Murtle's Mum, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Chigibub

Chigibub Hatchling Turtle

I recently had my tank custom made by Elite fish . Darren and his team are very helpful and professional . highly recommend them . this is my tank almost finished . tank is 6ft and the sump is 4ft .

Attached Files:

5. Murtle's Mum

Hi Chigibub,
    Thanks for that. :) Is good to hear that Elite Fish are reputable. They're about the only reasonably priced custom tank builders I came across after many hours of searching.
    Cheers,
    Mel.

6. Davarian

Davarian Egg

Thanks for the advice everyone! Have decided to go with Elite Fish, seem to have a great reputation and prices are reasonable.

Just wanted to also say how great this community is, everyone is friendly, knowledgeable and, most importantly, genuinely love and care about turtles!

7. Davarian

Davarian Egg

8. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hey Jack, you won't want a hood on the tank because it causes problems in turtle tanks - they need open air at the top. And the fixed dock would also be a bit of a pain with evaporation (it's also probably too far away from the top of the tank for the lighting to be effective). Better to get a floating dock, so it can go up and down as your water evaporates. And for a Murray, from what I understand it'll need to be at least 2ft wide and 6ft long - Murrays get very big, and you're probably better just getting what you need for the future now rather than upgrading in a few years.

9. Murtle's Mum

Hi Jack,
    You said in your first post that you're getting or have got a Murray River Turtle. While the tank looks the goods it's not big enough for a Murray (this I have learned from this forum!! & both Craig & Kev will back it up). For a Murray (which I have) you would be best going for a 7x2x2 minimum. They grow huge - trust me on this one, :laugh: I wish I'd found this website years & years ago - would have saved a lot of stress for Murtle, money & time correcting all the things that I've been doing wrong. I would save money now & get the bigger size now to save having to upgrade in the near future. :)
    Cheers,
    Mel.

10. Chigibub

#10 Chigibub, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
  11. Luvmyturtle

Luvmyturtle Hatchling Turtle

Hi Jack. Yep, totally agree with chigibub. Elite Fish in Mount Barker, they make excellent turtle tanks and custom made docks. I've found them cheaper than most in Adelaide. Definitely give them a chance, Darren is great.

#11 Luvmyturtle, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2017
  12. Davarian

Davarian Egg

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Went with Elite Fish, put my deposit down yesterday :) for a 1500 L x 600 W x 700 H tank (12mm glass) and a six legged stand for it. Cost me $1005 GST inc (Tank $660, Stand $345). Best prices I could find by far

13. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

14. Davarian

Davarian Egg

Best I could find in Adelaide unfortunately. Found some better prices interstate but when adding in the transport I'd have to hire to get it to me it turned out more expensive.

15. Chigibub

Yes I heard, :p awesome. .
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 10, 2017 ---
    Also a new discovery, for anyone in South Australia. Darren at Elite Fish can get a coarse River Sand. It does need a good wash though before using. :)

16. MeLikeTurtles

I live in Mt Barker and I visit Elite Fish all the time!
    They are a fantastic store and it is where I bought my ELN from.
    However, they were not too keen on river sand as a substrate, they recommended pebbles and dried coral :laugh::eek:!

17. Luvmyturtle

Luvmyturtle Hatchling Turtle

Great news Jack they also have some nice driftwood soaking out the back. Calgrit you can get at Marine Plus by the kilo cheap as well. Also just on Elite getting river sand be sure it is as I question that before and they directed me to their stock of aquarium sand so not sure where Darren would get the actual river sand its not sold in Adelaide. Only seen Reptile One river sand in Adelaide. I checked all landscapers, reptile stores and aquarium stores in Adelaide no luck. In saying that though be great if he has found a supplier. I got mine from the river came up beautiful.

18. MeLikeTurtles

Hello,
    I bought my river sand from Marine Plus, it was a little coarse but it did the trick after I sieved it!:D
    Marine Plus is just about the only store I have ever been to that actually follows AFT's care guide!:rolleyes:

19. Chigibub

Depends on who you talk to. ;) Darren has been awesome and is actually doing everything he possibly can to find me calgrit etc. I’m extremely impressed. Just like me when I first got my turtles I knew nothing, and it's all about learning, and as a fish shop they are also very willing to take new information on board and also learn. :) I just brought 2 bags of the aquarium sand, it is in fact coarse river sand. It does need a good wash before you put it in tank though .

20. MeLikeTurtles

Yes, I agree, I did not speak to Darren when I purchased my little guy. I spoke to a woman. However, Elite Fish are fantastic and it is where I buy most of my tropical fish from as they have reasonable prices and everything in their store gets me sooooo addicted I want to buy everything!