1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by DanielleM, Nov 5, 2017.

1. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

Hi all, I am new to the group and a first time turtle owner. I am hoping that someone may be able to suggest what this dark grey patch on my turtles neck is? He has been peeling/shedding his skin the last few days but that has stopped now. Is this just new skin or some sort of infection? Any help would be great!

Attached Files:

2. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hi Danielle, and welcome to AFT. :)

Did you fully cycle your tank with fish for 6-8 weeks before putting your turtle in? How long have you had your turtle and what are your water parameters currently? (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salt)

3. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

Thank you, yes I cycled the tank for 6-7 weeks before I purchased my turtle. He is a Murray River turtle, I was told 3 months old but later advised that realistically this time of the year its more likely to be around the 6 month mark. I have had him just over 2 -3 weeks.
    My pH is 7.6 and I had the water tested at my local aquarium store 2 days ago and was advised nitrates etc were within the correct range- but don't have my own test kit as yet.
    He is a fantastic eater and very active, gets plenty of UV in his tank and outside time 2-3 times a week when the sun is out.

The dark patch has not gotten any bigger over past few days, looks dry and normal texture just a darker grey to the rest of his neck. Only appeared during/after skin shedding.

4. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Hi Danielle and welcome to AFT!

Can you please try to get a test kit that checks for ammonia?

Can you also please upload some clear and in focus pics of your turtle's tank? We need to try and work out why your turtle may have a skin infection starting on his/her neck. Are you using Calgrit and salt in your turtle tank?

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

The following is essential reading Quick Reference Guide :arrowright: How To Set Up An Aquarium For Turtles and Feeding Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks, please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!
    How to measure the Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

5. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

Thanks Craig I will have a read through.

I don't currently use calgrit but I do have a turtle block that I was told would do the same thing (if this is wrong I am more than happy for some advice) and no to salt as well. Can you tell me why we add salt ? I will be sure to look into getting some if needed, thanks!
    Will post pic of tank tomorrow, turtle tank lives in my son's room and he has gone to bed already.

6. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hi Danielle, the links Craig provided will answer your questions, but briefly, salt (at the correct dosage) helps kill any potential infections, and calgrit does a vastly better job far cheaper than turtle blocks. The advice for your turtle you get here will not only be the best advice out there, but also the cheapest where possible. :)

7. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

Fantastic that's what I need!
    Calgrit and salts on the shopping list for tomorrow. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. DanielleM

DanielleM Egg

This is our current set up. After reading your links I already know I need to change a few things, the gravel/pebbles have to go! I'm going to look for river sand, calgrit and salt today.

Attached Files: