1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Biting at back leg

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by kerryf88, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

2. kerryf88

kerryf88 Sub-Adult Turtle

Hey Craig, I got the savlon cream, and just applied some on Max's lump while dry docking. I'm just wondering, will the cream be washed off with just tank water? I don't know as it's cream based, will a simple wash get rid of what's left on his head before returning to tank for the night?

3. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi Kerry, yes definitely wash and residual cream off before putting Max back in the tank.

4. kerryf88

Do I need to scrub with a cotton bud for the cream to come off? Or a simple wash will do the job?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 16, 2017 ---
    Hey guys, just now I was dry docking Max and I forgot to turn off the heater lamp timer, so it turned off half an hour before I realised it (coming inside from BBQ at the backyard). So he was there without heat lamp for 30 minutes, I tested the temperature where his dry docking place and it's only about 22° Celsius because we do have air con turned on at home since about an hour ago so it's not too cold compared to the outside temp, but I'm still worried this might caused him to have RI due to lack of heat source. When I touch him he wasn't too cold, but can't say warm either.

Other than this his lump is looking much better already from all the dry docking.

5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

6. kerryf88

Hey guys, thought I'd give an update on Max. It's been 2 weeks since I noticed the lump, been dry docking him daily for about 8-10 hours per day, with water break to rehydrate him (although I only dry docked him for about 2-3 hours yesterday and today as I was out all day both days and no ones at home, so I only manage to dry dock him when I got back at night until I go to bed). The lump is still pretty much the same as last week, I guess it just needs time. Here's the latest pic I took just now when I took him out to dry dock, sorry for the bright light as I had to use the flashlight from my phone:

--- Double Post Merged, Jun 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Original Post Date: Jun 25, 2017 at 9:57 PM ---
    Sorry picture stuffed up:

10xwozq.jpg

7. Craig

Craig Administrator

The area appears to have healed well Kerry.