1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Baby Yabbies

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by allthingslife42, Apr 14, 2017.

1. allthingslife42

Hi,

I recently have had yabbies mate and have taken the last 6 remaining babies off of the mothers tail.
    They are just laying on their sides, still moving but not swimming or walking.
    I have algae in there for food and the algae is fine I harvested it from the fish pond.

Have I removed them from their mother too soon and if so will the babies perish?

Thanks

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

You shouldn't manually remove them from the mother. They remain attached to their mother for up to 3 weeks. During this time they moult several times. It's likely they won't survive due to being injured by you handling them. They are extremely fragile.
    The baby yabbies eventually disperse on their own once they are ready.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

You should always leave the baby yabbies until they leave their mother by themselves. They don't usually survive if they are removed from the mother.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. allthingslife42

Bugger, I should have followed my gut instinct. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, hope they survive. If they do, I shall post pics.

#4 allthingslife42, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017