1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Ammonia levels in a tank not cycled yet

Discussion in 'Filtration and Water Chemistry' started by Tom2017, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Tom2017

Tom2017 Egg

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. The tank is new about 2 weeks and the chemistry seems all within spec apart from ammonia levels of around 7ppm.

From what I can gather it's still cycling, just concerned that it's high. What's the best way forward, small water changes or a larger water change, adding some good bacteria such as additives, waiting it out, or any other ideas you could point me towards.

A bit about the tank it's substrate is a calgrit and river sand mix, 6ft tank with about a 550gph bio filter, however I think the biggest downside that's created my problem is feeding in the main tank and allowing a bit of waste to build up.

It holds 4 very small Murray River turtles.

Open to all advice.

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Remove the turtles from the tank and replace them with a dozen goldfish until it is completely cycled. Will take around 6-8 weeks. Don't do any water changes during this time, just use Seachem Prime at the recommended dose every 48 hours and Seachem Stability at the recommended dose, every day for 7-14 days.

3. Tom2017

Tom2017 Egg

Thanks for the info Aussiepride.