1. AFT is celebrating its 15th consecutive year of helping freshwater turtles & turtle keepers. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Algae on shell

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by kelly23, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelly23

kelly23 Sub-Adult Turtle

Hi everyone. I posted a thread 4-5 months ago about my eastern long neck having algae on her shell... after putting a new filter in tank to control my algae outbreak my turtle has still got a lot of algae on top of the shell... I have noticed lately that it looks ugly... and when I pick her up to clean the algae off with a facewasher she musks on me and stinks really bad...I almost dry reached it smelt so bad :( I have 2 questions for you turtle people out there..
    1) Do turtles get used to there owner picking them up..... because that smell is not pleasant.
    2) Is there an easier way to clean my turtle (stinky)
    oh and when I was rubbing the shell with a wet facewasher a couple of the shell pieces fell off... is that good? and will the shell get infected or something?? any help would be gladly appreciated.
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas and new years ;)

2. Craig

Craig Retired AFT Public Officer
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Kelly,

Before you go rubbing any more algae or scutes off, please be aware that it doesn't harm them to have algae on their shell.
    There is the possibility that you could damage the scutes or even the underlying bone. Apart from that, you could introduce bacteria to between the scutes and the shell, which could end up in shell rot.

3. kelly23

kelly23 Sub-Adult Turtle

Thanks Craig, my turtle is very healthy and is well fed... from day one she has had algae on her shell. But since I had the wrong filter in my tank I had a algae outbreak in the tank that turned the tank green including stinky (algae shelled turtle).

I also have another Eastern Long Neck in the tank with stinky and he has none on him for some weird reason. My only question is why is why stinky is getting attacked with the algae and not Rocky? and should I worry?

4. Ikola

Ikola Senior Turtle

Hi Kelly,

This is normal for turtles to grow algae on their shell. Some seem to grow it and some don't.

2 of my 5 turtles have algae growing on them. Giving the turtle more regular time in the sun helps to keep the algae amounts down.

5. kelly23

kelly23 Sub-Adult Turtle

Ok thanks for clearing that up... I'll just stop hassling her... I tried to clean the algae last night and the little creature musked not once but a twice, it was so disgusting

6. jas

jas Hatchling Turtle

1) Do turtles get used to their owner picking them up..... because that smell is not pleasant.
    2) Is there an easier way to clean my turtle (stinky)

My turtles get a bit of algae on them over winter when they are hibernating.
    When it warms up and they spend a lot of time out of the water the algae clears up.
    So maybe take it outside in the sun for a bit every day and see if if clear up.

7. Gaz

Gaz Adult Turtle

Please don't try & remove the algae.
    If it is really bothering you that much, do as Ikola (Todd) suggested.
    More time in the sun.

8. I have 1 ELN who lives outside and is always sunbaking but he has always had algae around the edge of his shell and its long algae. The others in the same pond dont. They are all diffrenet, all grow at different rates, act differently and are affected differently by algae, the joys of turtle ownership. Live it on as its not hurting him. Re the smell, as he gets older and gets use to being handle he wil stop doing it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.