1. AFT is celebrating its 15th consecutive year of helping freshwater turtles & keepers. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

A turtles memory?

Discussion in 'Australian Freshwater Turtle Research' started by danibegood72, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danibegood72

Hi there, I'm new so I wasn't sure where to post this thread on the forum

I have a really old Australian freshwater tortoise book previously owned by my dad so it was pretty out of date (yet still had some useful care facts).

But what I wanted to ask was: Does anyone know how long a freshwater turtle's memory is? More specifically, Murray River turtle.

Thanks
    Dani

2. Brian Mercer

Brian Mercer Adult Turtle

Why would you need to know??? You have got me curious now.

Welcome to AFT .

3. Allan

Allan Senior Turtle

Mine all seem to remember that me (or other humans for that matter) equals food!

4. enragedinfidel

enragedinfidel Adult Turtle

Whenever there are a group of people looking at my turtle through the glass of his tank, he always seems to stare at me. Perhaps he knows I am the one with the food :)

5. Dylan Hill

My crew know the difference between me and my wife!

6. Brian Mercer

Brian Mercer Adult Turtle

Yes because she is last in your signature :laugh: :eek:

7. IAN

IAN Adult Turtle

Who wears the pants?

8. Dylan Hill

Erin is last as you always save the best until last!! And as for you, Ian I think we share a leg each.. or no pants at all!;)

9. danibegood72

Lol this post got a little off topic :p

Haha and sorry for this late reply. I was just curious because sure they are aware of you being there and are always excited about feed time. but I had a fruit box I would put them to run around while I cleaned out their tank etc, and they would just continuously run around and around the outside of it trying to get out. There were a few sides of the box that were shorter and they managed to climb out (clever) but when I put them back in they'd walk pass that area they just got out from. Like they didn't recognise it. I'm sure scent is a skill they learn in the wild to adventure and come back.

Anyway that was an un-exciting story I was merely curious and thought that someone might know. I've got them in with 3 goldfish and has anyone heard the myth "goldfish have a memory of 3 seconds?"

I adore my little guys. such interesting creatures :p
    Dani

10. Joe.Podger

Joe.Podger Sub-Adult Turtle

Hahaha Yes I have heard the myth of a goldfishes memory and it was on this show called "MythBusters" and goldfish do have a memory longer then 3 seconds because they did all these tests and found out that they have quite a good memory... A bit off topic but also a bit interesting...

11. TSG

TSG Sub-Adult Turtle

They seem to have enough grey matter to work out that I = food, and everyone else = scary. Unless its my dad or my mate, who apparently = food as well.

They also have different personalities.

And yeah like someone above said, I could be in the room and they are both relaxed, someone else enters and they go ballistic. And if I am in the room, they'll look at me instead of the other person.

12. IAN

IAN Adult Turtle

Something must be going on "up there". ;)

IAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.