1. AFT is Celebrating its 17th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 23rd Year Providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a Not-For-Profit Animal Welfare Charity Administered by Volunteer Staff Only.

3 year old turtle kept in inside aquarium

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Claudia kizzie, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Claudia kizzie

State:
    QLD
    Hi everybody,
    I am new on here and I am needing some information. I have read a lot of different posts but am just getting confused.

My turtle has started to want to sleep outside of the tank the last few days. I have been putting him in the spare room and letting him get himself comfortable and he seems to be burying himself under a pile of clothes but then in the morning he is up walking around and what not.
    Please don't think that I don't care or know anything about turtles because I do but this is dumbfounding me.

HELP please, what does my turtle Squirt want to do?

I hope to hear from someone soon!

Claudia.

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Senior Turtle

State:
    QLD
    Hi Claudia and :aftwelcome:

Firstly, don't ever take your turtle out of its aquarium and just leave it in a spare room over night. That is NOT an OK thing to do. Your turtle will quite happily sleep on the bottom of its aquarium (normal behaviour.)

Some pics of your turtle and your turtle's aquarium would be beneficial. Please upload them here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. smoyle

smoyle Administrator
    Staff Member Gold Level Supporter

State:
    Victoria
    Hey Claudia, welcome to AFT. You've come to the right place for turtle advice.

What is making you think your turtle wants to sleep outside of its tank? If you can provide the pictures Kev asked for above, that will help us to answer any questions you might have.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Claudia kizzie

State:
    QLD
    Hi, he has just started literally trying to climb up the tank wall. And when I hold him and put him down he is just then quite content, it used to be just sunbathing and a bit of a walk but when I had him out the other day he just crawled under the pile of clothes (there’s nothing in the room by the way that can hurt him in any way.) I thought it was odd so I removed him but he then put himself right in the same place three times.

Anyway, I feel terrible that I have done that.

Attached Files:

5. Claudia kizzie

State:
    QLD
    Also, thank you for your help! It’s Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  6. smoyle

smoyle Administrator

State:
    Victoria
    Yeah, you've misread your turtle's behaviour I'm afraid. Turtles are aquatic creatures and spend almost all of their life in the water, apart from basking. Certainly continue to give your turtle dry time in the sun for 20 minutes at a time a few times a week (not in the middle of the day) but otherwise it is best to handle your turtle as little as possible.

There are a few aspects of your setup that will need to change too that could be causing this behaviour. One is your filtration, which is seriously inadequate for a turtle, and will be affecting the water quality. You'll need a canister filter that can turn over your entire water volume at least 7x per hour.

You also need to remove ALL rocks, including any pebbles if you have them as substrate, and replace them with river sand and calgrit.

Your water level is far too low as well, your turtle has very little room to swim and dive in there, especially with the large driftwood pieces in there. That will lead to developmental problems for your turtle if not rectified. What are the dimensions of your tank?

Is your UV lighting T5 or T8?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer

State:
    NSW
    Hi Claudia and Welcome to AFT! :welcomescroll: