Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Reptile Licence Information - State by State

    Hi All,

    Current information on obtaining a reptile licence state by state. Can others please add their respective state and / or any other valid info that may be a central point of reference...

    QLD Recreational Wildlife Licence:

    Online application for a QLD Recreational Wildlife Licence (online payment by credit card):

    Keeping wildlife for recreational purposes
    General information

    Wildlife permits and licenses

    Movement advice and how to transfer a reptile:

    How soon can I keep birds/reptiles or amphibians after I have bought my licence online?

    You can keep the animal(s) identified on your licence as soon as you have received your licence.
    Note: Recreational Wildlife Licenses cannot be backdated. Your licence will list the ‘valid from’ date.

    Do I need to purchase a record book?

    A record book documents the movement, births and deaths of animals in your care. It contains multiple copies of the Wildlife Record Form which must be completed as a legal requirement. Each Wildlife Record Form can be used to record details about multiple animals, however only one species of animal can be recorded per page. Either 20 or 50 page record books are available for purchase.
    If you do not already have a usable record book, you must purchase one with your recreational wildlife licence and will be forwarded to your postal address. A DEHP officer may ask to see your record book to verify the origin of your animals.
    Last edited by Craig; 11-04-13 at 09:49. Reason: Updated broken links due to name change

  2. #2
    Western Australia Reptile Licence:

    Licence Application
    WA herp-keeper-application.pdf

    Link to downloadable application form for standard reptile keeper / recreational licence:

    Approved reptile keeping list WA

    What turtles can I keep in WA with a Recreational Wildlife Licence?

    The only turtles that can be kept in WA on the standard Class 3 licence are the Southwestern snake-necked turtle or Narrow-breasted snake-necked turtle Chelodina colliei. Its former and now obsolete name was Oblong turtle. (Although the reptile list above notes this species as a tortoise, it is actually a turtle).

    Also, the following turtle can be kept on a Category 4 licence: - Flat-shelled or Dinner Plate Turtle, Chelodina steindachneri.
    Last edited by Craig; 11-03-13 at 11:38. Reason: UPDATED

  3. #3
    Victorian Wildlife Licence:

    Here is the current info sheet on Victorian Licensing. It covers the different types of licence required to keep turtles (basic and advanced), schedule of fees and keeping reptiles in category 5 without a licence.

    Downloadable applications for basic and advanced wildlife licences:

    What turtles can be kept on a beginner licence in Victoria?

    According to the literature above, holders of a basic Victorian wildlife licence are entitled to keep turtles from a reputable breeder / pet store in category 3, these turtles are:

    Broad-shelled Turtle - Macrochelodina expansa
    Krefft's Turtle - Emydura macquarii kreffti
    Mary River Turtle - Elusor macrurus
    Narrow breasted snake-necked turtle/Southwestern snake-necked turtle Chelodina colliei (former and obsolete name Oblong turtle)
    Northern Snapping Turtle - Elseya dentata
    Saw-shelled turtle Myuchelys latisternum

    What turtles can be kept on an advanced licence in Victoria?

    As well as all turtles listed above (Category 3 turtles) you may also keep category 4 reptiles - turtles in this category include:

    Northern snake-necked/Northern long-necked Turtle Chelodina oblonga
    Australian Painted turtle/Jardine River Turtle Emydura subglobosa subglobosa

    What turtles can I keep without a licence in Victoria?

    You are allowed to keep reptiles / turtles without a licence as long as these fall into category 5 and are obtained from a legal source (this info can be found in the Vic licence info sheet). Turtles that are in Vic category 5 are:

    Eastern snake-necked/Eastern long-necked turtle Chelodina longicollis
    Murray River Turtle Emydura macquarii macquarii

    Information on record keeping in Victoria - Record Book, Return Forms etc
    Last edited by Ikola; 31-08-09 at 18:02.

  4. #4
    South Australian Wildlife Licence Info:

    Turtles that can be kept without a licence in SA:

    Turtles that are on the exempt list may that are obtained legally may be kept without a licence. The turtles in this category are:

    Eastern snake-necked Turtle - Chelodina longicollis
    Murray River Turtle - Emydura macquarii macquarii

    BELOW:List of all Animals that can be kept on an EXEMPT and BASIC SA Licence. All freshwater turtles are highlighted.

    Turtles that can be kept with a basic SA Wildlife Licence:

    Northern Snapping Turtle - Elseya dentata
    Broad-shelled Turtle - Macrochelodina expansa
    Krefft's Turtle - Emydura macquarii krefftii)
    Northern snake-necked/Northern long-necked Turtle Chelodina oblonga
    Narrow breasted snake-necked turtle/Southwestern snake-necked turtle Chelodina colliei (former and obsolete name Oblong turtle)

    Saw-shelled Turtle - Myuchelys latisternum

    The list can be found here:

    Downloadable application online for Basic Licence:
    Last edited by Craig; 06-02-16 at 16:54.

  5. #5
    Information on obtaining turtles via QLD Pet Stores:


    Pet Shops

    People are always concerned that Pet Shops may not have the ability to care for reptiles adequately.

    In Queensland Pet Shop owners or their representatives need special training in order to obtain a Commercial Licence to hold reptiles.
    “ the chief executive can not grant a commercial wildlife licence for reptiles to a person (the applicant) unless the chief executive is satisfied the applicant, or a person who would be a relevant person for the applicant if the applicant were granted the licence (the relevant person), has passed a course approved by the chief executive that:
    a) provides training on how to maintain the health, safety and well-being of reptiles; and
    b) provides training on how the applicant or relevant person may teach another person about the matters mentioned in paragraph (a).
    Contact your local DERM office for a list of approved training providers.”

    A Code of Practice:

    The Code of Practice outlines conditions under which reptiles may be maintained, especially in Pet Shops.

    Pet Shops may only trade in the following turtles:

    The following reptiles of the family Chelidae —

    Eastern snake-necked turtle
    Chelodina longicollis

    Saw-shelled turtle
    Myuchelys latisternum (previously Wollumbinia latisternum)

    Krefft’s River turtle
    Emydura macquarii krefftii (previously Emydura krefftii)

    Murray River turtle
    Emydura macquarii macquarii
    Last edited by Craig; 23-02-12 at 16:52. Reason: Updated links

  6. #6
    Northern Territory Wildlife Licence Information:

    Permit to Keep Protected or Prohibited Wildlife:

    A permit to keep protected or prohibited wildlife is required to enable people to legally possess wildlife in captivity within the Northern Territory. In order to acquire a permit to keep wildlife you must first purchase the animal from a lawful source. A lawful source is identified as a person, pet shop or breeder who has a current permit to keep and trade wildlife.

    Upon application a proof of purchase in the form of a receipt or ‘proof of sale docket’ must be attached to your application.

    Once an animal has been obtained you must legally obtain a permit to keep within 7 days of receipt of purchase.


    Please be advised that the wildlife listed must have been obtained lawfully.


    Northern snake-necked/Northern long-necked Turtle Chelodina oblonga (previously Chelodina rugosa)

    Here is the list:

  7. #7
    Contact Information - State by State list:

    South Australia
    Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources/ Wildlife Management
    Phone: (08) 8204 1910
    GPO Box 1047
    Adelaide SA 5001


    Northern Territory
    Parks and Wildlife Service Permits Office
    Ground Floor, Goyder Centre
    Chung Wah Terrace
    PO Box 496
    Palmerston NT 0830
    Email: [email protected]
    Tel: (08) 89 995511 (International 61 8 89 995511)
    Fax: (08) 89 323849 (International 61 8 89 323849)


    Department of Environment and Primary Industries
    NRE Information Centre
    8 Nicholson Street, PO Box 500, East Melbourne, Victoria Australia 3002, PH 136186


    Western Australia
    Parks & Wildlife
    Senior Licensing Officer - Fauna
    DPaW Wildlife Licensing Section
    Locked Bag 30
    Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983
    Telephone: +61 8 9219 9831
    P: General enquiries: (08) 9219 9000
    F: Fax: (08) 9334 0498
    Email: [email protected]


    New South Wales
    Office of Environment & Heritage
    43 Bridge Street, (PO Box 1967), HURSTVILLE 2220
    Switchboard: (02) 9585 6444 (8.30am - 5.00pm)
    Fax 9585 6555
    Email: [email protected]


    Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
    Central Office, 160 Ann St,Brisbane QLD 4000, 1300 130 372
    Postal address, PO Box 155, Brisbane Albert St, Brisbane QLD 4002


    Wildlife Management Branch
    134 Macquarie Street
    GPO Box 44
    HOBART TAS 7001
    Phone: 03 6165 4305
    Fax: 03 6173 0253
    Email: [email protected]


    Australian Capital Territory
    Territory and Municipal Services
    GPO Box 158
    Canberra ACT 2601
    Ph: +61 (02) 6207 5111 BH
    Contact: [email protected]



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Copyright © 2016, Australian Freshwater Turtles. All Rights Reserved.
1. All intellectual property in relation to content on this Site belongs to AFT.
All content on this Site is protected by Australian and International copyright and other intellectual property laws.
You may not do anything which interferes with or breaches those laws or the intellectual property rights in the content.
2. You may download and view content or print a copy of material on this Site for personal, non-commercial use provided you do not modify the content in any way (including any copyright notice). All rights not expressly granted under these terms of use are reserved by AFT. Unless expressly stated otherwise, you are not permitted to copy, share or republish anything you find on the Site without AFT's prior permission.
3. The AFT logo may not be used by any other person, company or organisation. Other logos may be displayed on the Site from time to time. These belong to third parties. Nothing displayed on the Site should be construed as granting any licence or right of use of any logo without the express written permission of the relevant owner.